eighteen

"All of you know your positions. Play till you drop dead. Do your best." Coach Kataoka said sternly to the whole group.

Everyone then started screaming and I honestly had goosebumps after hearing it. 

"Sawamura, you are pitching 3 innings. Crystal, I want you to finish the rest." He stayed and looked at me. Even with his shades on, I could still feel his eyes piercing through my soul. I nodded my head to show that I understood his instructions.

"Caroline, you'll be the cleanup and right-field." He then turned his head and looked at Caroline. She nodded as a response.

"Let's go!" We shouted to sort of scare our opponents. Indeed, their heads turn after hearing the uproar to find out what was going on.

The first batter batted and got a run off the pitcher from the opposing team on the first bat. The team in the dugout, as well as the ones in first-string, burst out cheering.

"Good one! Get another one!"

The second batter bats the ball, making it fall between the centre fielder and the left fielder. This gave the runner on first enough time to sprint to second base. The second batter was then on first base.

The cheering got louder, considering the fact that both batters got runs on their first try. 

The third batter then got ready to bat. However, I could tell that he was really nervous. His face was pale and he looked like he stopped breathing. His legs were also about to give out on him.

"Uh oh. This is not going to go well..." I thought to myself.

Caroline probably thought the same too. Her eyes were widened, probably worried that the third batter might ruin the momentum that we had gained. However, we still chose to believe in that batter.

"Strike! Batter out!" The umpire shouted.

The Kokudoukan dugout then laughed at the batter, and cheered, complimenting their pitcher for striking our batter out.

One of the players there shouted, "This batter us clumsy! Aim at him! Hahaha!"

"Seriously, it's just one strike. I'll have to show those guys later." The aura around Caroline when she said that was murderous. Anyone could have shivers down their spines if they heard that. 

"Foul!" The umpire announced with his hand raised.

The members from Kokudoukan once again laughed and cheered for the pitcher.

"I'm hitting those pitches of his out of the park. Just wait and you will be begging for mercy after my homeruns." Now, she would be better off throwing daggers. The one thing that Caroline absolutely hated was that someone was making fun of their team mates, even if she was not close to them. It was just wrong and rude, something she could not accept. 

After another out, we were getting nervous. Another out and we are done this inning. There must be something that could help him with his anxiety. Coach did not take him out, probably to see how he would handle the situation. The fact that he got 2 outs and a foul made things twice as worse, if not triple. Everyone was nervous that this might hurt their morale and performance later in the game.

Just then when we thought things were going downhill, we heard a loud and clear voice coming from the crowd. 

"You look like a ghost with that face! You're too tensed up brother! You look really weird, I'm not used to this! Hahaha!" a girl shouted. She had brown hair and beautiful eyes. She was wearing a T-shirt and jeans. She was probably the batter's sister that came to cheer for his brother.