FOUR

After a week of school, things seemed to settle around the time they usually did when school starts back up, so things were as normal as they should've been.

Sophie had at least one friend in each of her classes, but she also had Stina Heks in her Geometry class—so that was fun.

Stina sat right behind Sophie because the teacher insisted that they'd be sitting in seats according to their last names. Stina enjoyed pulling Sophie's hair (which Sophie thought was super childish) and mumbling about Sophie being a freak because she was always the first one done.

Sophie would try to tell the teacher about the way she was being treated, but the teacher would always say, "Stop trying to be a snitch Sophie—no one wants to hear about your problems,"

Sadly, Fitz was all the way in the back of the class, so she had no one to save her from Stina/teacher tortures—except for one day.

The teacher had asked Sophie to pass out some worksheets, so when she was making her way to hand Fitz his, Stina stuck her foot out from under her desk and tripped Sophie, causing her to fall and drop the papers all over the floor.

The room exploded with laughter and all the teacher said was, "Watch where you're walking Miss Foster,"

Before Sophie could say something, Fitz walked over to her, and as he helped her up he looked the teacher dead in the eye and exclaimed, "Are you serious?!"

The teacher looked as shocked as Sophie was. Fitz Vacker had basically just yelled at a teacher.

"Sophie—a student—was just tripped by another student—namely, Stina, and you're not going to do anything about it?" He asked.

"I don't think Miss Heks tripped Miss Foster," The teacher said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Well, everyone else saw it," Fitz said, causing the class to mumble about how much of a jerk Stina was. "And ever since Stina started causing trouble you've always taken her side. I think Mr. Leto would love to hear about this favoritism,"

The teacher's mouth fell open as Fitz grabbed Sophie's hand. "Come on Sophie," Then they both walked right out of the class.

Once they'd gotten into the hallway, Sophie almost knocked Fitz over with a hug. Sophie wanted to say "thank you" over and over, but those words didn't feel like enough.

So she said something she'd never said to anyone other than her parents.

"I love you so much Fitz,"

With her head against his chest, Sophie felt Fitz's heart speed up a bit, but it calmed down as he said, "I love you too Sophie," Then he stepped back. "And I meant what I said: we need to talk to Mr. Leto,"

Sophie nodded, letting go of Fitz and following him down the hallway. Even though Sophie was less than thrilled to go back to the Principals office, she was with Fitz, so everything would be fine.

As they walked, they talked about how infuriating Stina was, and when they turned down the last hallway, they both stopped when a voice said, "Woah—you guys are ditching too?!"

Sophie and Fitz turned around to see Keefe lounged on a bench in the hallway.

"Of course not," Fitz said, a smile spreading across his face. "We're going to see Mr. Leto."

He cocked his head. "Why?"

"Because our teacher and Stina are jerks," Sophie mumbled.