NINETEEN

"I love December," Biana announced when they walked out of Study Hall together. "It's so cozy and I especially love the fact that you get to wear cute outfits." She motioned to the fleece sweater, leggings, and ankle boots she was wearing.

Thanksgiving break had been over for a week, and they were back at school. Sophie hadn't made-up with Fitz or Keefe yet, but she'd made up her mind to do so today.

She'd texted Fitz to meet her at the football practice field after school was over, and she'd texted Keefe and told him to meet her on the trail when she got home that day.

So she couldn't exactly back out since she'd already made the plans.

"I don't think a grey hoodie and skinny jeans is a cute outfit," Sophie said, looking down at her clothes.

"Of course it is," Biana said, smiling at Sophie's outfit. "In...your own personal way."

They both laughed before putting all their stuff in their locker. "See you tomorrow," Sophie said, giving Biana a hug.

Biana hugged her back. "See you later Sophie—and good luck,"

As they pulled back Sophie laughed. She was going to need as much luck that she could get in a few minutes.

Sophie started to slowly make her way to the practice field, and when she got there, she saw Fitz sitting, on his phone, in the stands.

Sophie inhaled a sharp breath before making her way over to the stands. She sat down— making sure to put some space in between them—and looked out onto the field.

Fitz was doing the same thing, and they both seemed extremely uncomfortable.

"Sophie," Fitz said, breaking the awkward silence. He didn't look at her, but sadness filled his eyes. "Before you say what you were wanting to say when you texted me, I think I owe you an apology."

Sophie's mouth almost dropped open. She did not expect Fitz to be the first one to apologize.

"I acted like a jerk," He continued. "I should've listened to you. I'm so sorry for yelling at you and I'm sorry for making something bigger than it was. You don't belong to anyone, and you don't have to feel sorry for anything. It was all my fault and I'm really sorry." He turned and actually looked at Sophie. "I really miss seeing you, even if you just want to be friends."

Sophie was silent for a long time. She wasn't just shocked, she was moved. Not only did Fitz apologize, but he was being super respectful of any decisions she might make.

"Fitz, I..." Sophie bit her lip. "I miss you too. What you did wasn't right—and I really don't want to have to go through it again—"

"I promise I won't do anything like that ever again," He told her, his eyes looking extremely truthful. "I just want my friend back,"

Sophie felt tears well up in her eyes as she pulled him into a tight hug. "I want my friend back too,"

They stayed like that for a long time, and it was super nice. She missed the feeling of wrapping Fitz in a hug.

They pulled back and smiled at each other.

"I'm glad you're my friend again," Sophie told him.

Fitz flashed his movie-star smile. "Me too,"

Sophie took a deep breath before standing. "Well, I should probably head home," She got out her phone to text Edaline, but Fitz stopped her.