THIRTY

Wow, only ten more chapter's after this one....

   "It's Valentine's day!" Sophie sang as she jumped out of bed and ran to her closet.

She dressed in a red and white sweater with a pair of white jeans and red flats. She curled her hair and put it in a half-up/half-down bun.

Sophie didn't usually go all-out for holidays, but for some reason she'd always loved Valentine's day. And this year was extra wonderful because she got to share it with Fitz.

Sophie brushed her teeth before running downstairs with her gift for Fitz and her book bag. She quickly ate the heart-shaped waffles Edaline had made her before running outside to see Fitz waiting outside to drive her to school.

They greeted each other with a quick kiss before she handed him his present.

"Happy Valentine's day," She said as he opened the small tin.

Fitz smiled as he looked down at the contents inside the tin. "I love fudge!" He said, taking a bite of one, but he flinched when melty chocolate dripped from his chin. "Oh—this is really good."

"I'm glad you like it," She said through a laugh. "It took me all night to try and get it right. I had to get Edaline to help me with it at the very end."

"They're wonderful," He said as he finished the one he'd bitten into before closing the lid over the tin and putting it in his book bag. "I hope you like your gift."

He reached out to the backseat of his car and pulled out a basket filled with candies, drinks, candles, and a cute little Teddy Bear.

"I love it," she said, grinning at the giant gift. Sure it was a traditional gift, but she thought it was super sweet.

"I'm glad," Fitz said with a grin. "Happy Valentine's day Sophie,"

Sophie smiled at him. "Happy Valentine's day Fitz,"

§§§

"Ugh! I wish I could tell all those creepy guys that I have a boyfriend like you can!" Biana complained to Sophie as they walked into the gym that afternoon.

"That doesn't stop them from giving me stuff," Sophie said as they sat down with the rest of their friends in the stands. "Literally, I've gotten ten bags of candy and five love confessions."

"And don't forget that creepy love note Valin gave you this morning," Dex said, gagging. "Complete with the bracelet of heart charms."

Sophie shuddered. "Yeah—that too,"

She had no idea how many people actually liked her until today. It was both flattering and scary.

"Well," Keefe said with an air of authority as he reached into his gym bag. "I decided to be a gentleman and buy presents for all my single-female-friends for Valentine's day." He pulled out three brown paper bags with Biana, Maruca, and Linh's names on them. He handed one to each of them. "Oh—and I also got goodie bags for all my single-male-friends." He pulled out three more bags with Jensi, Dex, and Tam's names on them. "Plus a bag for me," He pulled out a bag with his name on it. "Ah, it feels great to be single!"

As their friends talked about how nice Keefe was, Sophie couldn't help but feel a little upset. She knew it was selfish, but how else should she feel?

As Mrs. Axelene explained that today would be a free-time day, Keefe sat down right beside Sophie and placed a Hershey's Chocolate bar in her hand. She looked down at it and noticed that there was a sticky note with her name on it stuck on the plastic.