EIGHT

"No," Sophie said, shaking her head. "I refuse to help you defend me,"

"But Foster," Keefe said with pouting lips. "We're doing this for you—and Dex and Biana had some great ideas in study hall yesterday."

Sophie shook her head again. "We could possibly get in trouble—and I really don't want to get detention like last year," She gave Keefe a knowing look as she booped his nose with her finger and walked to one of the animals fences.

She stared out past all the enclosures and looked at the setting sun in the distance. She was aware of the fact that Keefe had come up behind her, but she didn't acknowledge him until he slightly nudged her.

"What?" She asked as she looked up at him.

"Nothing," He said with a smile.

Sophie rolled her eyes as she turned her attention back to the sunset. Suddenly, she remembered the beautiful sunset she and Keefe had watched over the summer. It had been prettier than all the sunsets in the world.

She looked over at Keefe and saw him smiling at her. "What're you thinking about?" He asked.

Sophie smiled back at him before looking back at the beautiful sky. "Nothing in particular—it's kind of hard to think about one thing when you've got tons of other things going on. Why? What're you thinking about?"

Keefe's smile fell for only a second before it was quickly replaced with a grin. "I'm thinking that it'd be a good idea to go visit the Vackers,"

Sophie blinked, her smile dying. "What?"

Keefe shrugged. "I feel like visiting my best friend," He nudged her with a smile. "And I think you want to see your boyfriend,"

Sophie rolled her eyes before shrugging. "I don't know. If you guys talk about the plan all day then I'm staying here."

Keefe put his hand over his heart and smiled. "I promise not to talk about Operation Revenge On The Toad, and I'll make sure Biana and Fitz don't talk about it either."

Sophie laughed before nodding. "Deal," Sophie pulled out her phone and texted Edaline about where she was going.

"Are you ready?" Keefe asked as they both made their way to his truck.

Sophie nodded before they got in and drove to the Vacker's house. As they drove up the driveway, Sophie noticed that Keefe brought his truck around the back of the house.

"Keefe, what are you doing?" She asked.

Keefe smirked. "They have no idea we're here—so we're going to surprise them."

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Why does something like this always happen when I'm with you? There's always a surprise."

Keefe grinned as they both got out of the truck and walked closer to the house. "Because, surprises make life interesting."

Sophie rolled her eyes once again before Keefe led the two of them to an open window.

"Where does that lead to?" Sophie asked, pointing to the window.

"Their laundry room," Keefe said with a snicker.

Sophie crossed her arms over her chest and planted her feet. "There is no way I'm going to land in someone's laundry room—that's a little weird."

Keefe pouted his lips again. "Please Foster—I'll buy you ice-cream afterwards..."

"Cookies n' Cream?"