TWENTY-FOUR

"Why don't you stay home today?" Edaline asked as Sophie did her best to try and creep out of the house without her boot making so much noise. "You haven't seen your Aunt and Uncle in two years."

Sophie winced at the names. Sandor and Grizel had told her multiple times that they didn't want to be called by those titles, so Sophie did her best not to—but Edaline said it was rude not to, so she was constantly confused.

"Um..." Sophie started, trying to find the best way out of staying home. "Fitz and I have already planned a ton of stuff with our friends today."

She loved her dad's cousins, but Grizel was way too personable, and Sandor wasn't personable enough—so Sophie had no idea how the two of them ended up getting married.

"And," Sophie added. "Wylie's coming back to California today and we all want to be there to welcome him back."

A shadow passed over Edaline's face—and it made Sophie extremely worried.

"I promise I'll come back home and spend time with them as soon as we're done," Sophie said, even though she wished she didn't have to.

Edaline crossed her arms over her chest. "Fine—But I'm holding you to your promise Sophie Elizabeth Foster."

Sophie winced.

She hated when Edaline used her full name. But she still said, "Yes ma'am," before bolting as fast as she could to Fitz's car.

"Are you alright?" He asked, sounding concerned, as they drove. "You look terrified,"

Sophie shuddered. "I am,"

§§§

"It's great to be back," Wylie said with a laugh after they'd all surprised him at his house that morning. "I didn't realize how much I missed you all. But..."

He trailed off as he looked at their friend group. "Aren't we missing some people?"

Everyone's face suddenly turned sad as Maruca said, "Marella moved to Florida a couple weeks ago and Keefe is in Boston with his mom for the break."

"Oh," Wylie said, looking sincerely upset. "It's too bad I won't get to see them."

"You might," Linh said. "Well, Keefe at least. You'll be coming back for another break, won't you?"

Wylie nodded, smiling down at Linh. "I'll be back for Spring Break,"

Everyone started talking about what they could do during Spring break when they would all be there together, but Biana stopped the planning.

"How about we all stay in the now?" She said with an air of authority. "I'm pretty sure lunch will be ready in an hour or two, and in the meantime, we should play a game."

"Like what?" Jensi questioned, tilting his head to the side.

"Well, there are a number of things we can do," Biana said with a small eye-roll. "Catch, charades, truth or dare, hide-and-seek..."

"I like the last one!" Dex said with a grin. "I'm great at hide-and-seek!"

Everyone seemed to agree on the idea, but Tam just groaned loudly. "I'm awful at this game!"

"Really?" Sophie asked, turning to him. "You seem like you'd be great at it. You know, since you're so mysterious."

Tam groaned again. "Why does everyone think that?"