NINE

After the big fight, Sophie had woken up at home with hot rags pressed around her neck and stomach. Elwin had come by after she'd woken up and told her the good news, and the bad news.

"The good news is," He started. "You're not in too bad shape. You'll have a giant bruise on your stomach, and a few on your neck—but other than that, you'll be fine," He told her. "Oh, and Miss Heks got suspended for the rest of the year,"

Sophie couldn't help but smile before she croaked, "What's the bad news?"

Elwin bit his lip. "Well, unless you want to fess-up about who rigged the speakers, you have detention for this week and next week."

"Yay! We can be detention buddies!" Keefe exclaimed as she told him what had happened that night from her window.

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Yeah, but you don't have it next week,"

Keefe thought for a second. "Well, I guess I'll have to do something to get myself another week of detention."

"Keefe," Sophie said, letting out a sigh. "You could get kicked off the football team,"

Keefe laughed. "No I won't. No one else on that team can play linebacker as well as I can,"

Sophie cocked her head to the side. "Not even those muscular freshmen?"

"Pfft!" Keefe said with a laugh. "Those guys can't play defense—they're on the offensive side of the game. They're just really ripped. One of them has a nine-pack and he's really—"

"Ew," Sophie said, cutting him off. "I don't want to hear about a ninth-grader's abs—that's kind of gross."

Keefe shrugged before saying, "Well, I better get to bed—see you in detention tomorrow."

Sophie nodded, and was tempted to ask Keefe to join her for a window sleepover party—but he walked away before she could.

So Sophie shut her window and crawled into bed. As soon as her head hit the pillow, she fell asleep, dreaming about football players and rigged speakers.

§§§

"I feel really bad now," Biana said in Study Hall the next day. "You should've told them it was us,"

Sophie shrugged. "You guys saved me from detention last year—I didn't want you guys to do it again,"

They talked for another five minutes before the bell rang and Sophie and Keefe made their way to the detention classroom.

"Do you want me to give you a ride back home afterwards?" Keefe asked before they walked through the door.

Sophie smiled up at him as she nodded. "Thanks Keefe,"

They walked into the classroom together and both sat beside each other in the very back. After a minute, a few more people filled the room until there was a total of eight people.

Soon, Mr. Bronte (Widely known as Mr. B) walked in with a stern look on his face, but it was replaced with pure exhaustion when he saw Sophie and Keefe.

"After I pass out these textbooks," Mr. B said as he put a textbook on each occupied desk. "You will copy the whole thing—and once you're done, you'll bring the paper and the book to my desk," He looked straight at Keefe and Sophie. "Then you can leave,"