TWENTY-ONE

"Hey Edaline," Sophie said as she crutched into the kitchen that morning. "Can I invite Biana, Linh, Maruca, and Marella over for the weekend?"

It was Friday once again, and since Sophie couldn't invite her friends over last week, she decided to ask this time.

Edaline thought for a second as she took a sip of coffee. "I don't think we're doing anything important today—so I guess so."

Sophie smiled as she hugged her mom before pulling out her phone and texting her three friends about the plans. Sophie then quickly ate her breakfast, grabbed her bag, and crutched outside to where Fitz was waiting to drive them both to school.

"Good morning," He said as he took her crutches and helped her get in the car.

She smiled at him. "Good morning to you too—and thank you,"

Fitz smiled before starting the engine and driving them both to school. They both got out and Fitz helped her to her seat in the auditorium.

"We're staying over tonight, right?" Biana asked as soon as Sophie sat down.

Sophie nodded. "I mean, if you're allowed to,"

"Of course!" Biana said with a smile. "It's going to be awesome!"

"What about you?" Sophie asked, turning to Linh. "Can you come?"

Linh nodded with a smile. "My dad's going out of town and my mom's having dinner with her friends."

Sophie nodded before turning to Marella and Maruca. "What about you guys?"

Maruca shook her head and Marella bit her lip.

"An employee quit at my parents cake shop and my mom needs me to help after school," Maruca said. "Sorry,"

"It's fine," Sophie said before turning to Marella. "Why can't you come. Is it your mom?"

Marella bit her lip again. "No...well, kind of." She sniffed. "My parents found a really nice hospital that can help my mom with her sickness and we're going there this weekend."

"That's good, isn't it?" Biana asked, looking up from her phone.

"Yes," Marella said. "But the treatment is supposed to take a super long time and it's all the way in Florida. My dad want's us both to be there so last night they told me that...we're moving there."

Sophie, Linh, Maruca and Biana all collectively gasped before pulling Marella into a tight hug.

"I can't believe it," Linh was the first one to speak. "Weren't you born here?"

Marella nodded, pulling away from the hug. "And so were my parents. I just don't understand why they'd want to go far away from all their friends and family. It's so unfair."

Sophie chose not to point out that her mom probably needed the medical attention because she knew it'd make Marella even more upset than she already was.

"Do you know when you're leaving?" Maruca asked, looking extremely upset.

Marella wiped her eyes. "My parents started packing last week and we're all going to start packing tonight—so probably in a few weeks."

They hugged once again before Biana pulled back and said, "Just know, that we're always here for you. If you ever need anything, just give us a call."

Marella smiled and looked at all of them. "Thank you all so much."

They hugged once again before the bells chimed and Mr. Leto came onto the stage.