THIRTY-SIX

Fitz had brought her to a bench near the front of the school. It was dark outside, and no one was around, so Sophie was a little antsy.

"So," She said, trying to speed this along. "What'd you want to tell me?"

Fitz rubbed the back of his neck several times before saying, "Well, there's no easy way of saying this, but I think we should break up."

Sophie was so surprised by his sentence that she couldn't form a coherent word.

She was supposed to break up with Fitz—not the other way around.

"And it's not because I don't like you," Fitz added, looking super worried. "But I don't think you're happy with me."

Sophie blinked. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "You don't?" She asked. She wanted to know his reasoning behind breaking up with her.

Fitz shook his head, rubbing the back of his neck once again. "I'm just going to put this out plainly: I saw the way you looked at Keefe when he brought Linh." He told her with a sigh. "I'd never want to force you to be happy in this relationship when you could be happy with someone else."

Fitz grabbed her hand and stared her deep in the eyes. "You deserve to be happy Sophie—and so do I—and I can be happy with you as just my friend."

Sophie's was completely out of words, so she just laughed.

"Um...are you okay?" He asked, looking extremely concerned.

Sophie smiled and chuckled as tears poured out of her eyes. "I'm fine," She said with a small laugh. "In fact, I'm more than fine."

Fitz looked mildly hurt, but Sophie tightened her grip on his hand so he wouldn't walk away.

"Fitz," She started. "Thank you so much for being honest with me—and now it's time for me to be honest with you." She took a deep breath and wiped the tears away with her free hand. "I do like Keefe," She told him. "I think I've liked him for a long time, but the funny thing is that I just realized it tonight."

Fitz gave her a sad smile—she could tell he was happy for her.

"The thing is, I was going to break up with you," She told him. "That's what I wanted to tell you."

Realization dawned on Fitz's face before the both of them burst into a fit of laughter. It felt good to laugh—and now it was just as friends.

When they'd both composed themselves, Fitz smiled at Sophie. "Thank you for everything," He told her with a grin. "You've really helped me see things in a different light."

"Thank you too," Sophie said. "You've helped me realize that what you want isn't exactly what you want."

Fitz smiled before they both stood and hugged each other—but it was a hug she'd give Dex or Biana or Tam...

"So what now?" Fitz asked as they pulled a part.

Sophie let out a breath. "Well, we should probably tell our friends." Sophie said, biting her lip. "And maybe take some time apart."

Fitz nodded. "I think that's a good idea."

Sophie nodded, but she had a favor to ask of Fitz. "Um...do you mind doing me a favor?"

Fitz shook his head. "What do you need?"

"I don't want you to miss your Senior Prom—and I have two more years to go to Prom," She told him with a smile. "So do you mind telling our friends the situation while I call Edaline to come get me?"

Fitz looked confused. "You don't want to tell Keefe that you like him?"

Sophie bit her lip. "I don't want to confuse him at his Senior Prom either," She told him. "I'll tell him when I'm ready,"

Fitz nodded. "Alright," He pulled her into another hug. "See you at school,"

Sophie nodded as she pulled away. "Yeah—as friends."

Fitz smiled and nodded before making his way back to the party.

Sophie let out a shaky breath as she took her phone out and called Edaline. "Hey Edaline, can you pick me up at the school?"

"Why? What happened? Are you alright?" She asked, her voice filled with worry.

"I'm fine," She told her with a laugh. "I'll tell you when we get home,"

"Alright," She said. "I'll be there in five minutes. I love you,"

Sophie nodded. "I love you too,"

§§§

"So...you're single again?" Grady asked, earning a slap on the shoulder from Edaline.

Sophie laughed as she nodded. "It was mutual, we're just friends, and I'm fine."

"But you were dumped at Prom," Edaline said with worry lines on her forehead. "Are you sure you're alright?"

"When you say it like that it sounds terrible, but..." Sophie took a deep breath. "I'm fine—I promise,"

Edaline didn't look convinced, but she still said, "Alright, if you need anything—Grady and I are just down the hallway."

Sophie nodded as she got up. "Goodnight guys," She told them before heading upstairs.

She took off her dress, shoes, make-up, and then she took her hair down before changing into pajamas, grabbing Ella and crawling into bed.

She was fine.

But as she closed her eyes, a wave of emotions poured over her and tears came flooding out of her eyes.

Even though she was ready to end things and felt completely fine, something about it still hurt. It hurt to know that she'd been broken up with. It hurt to know that she had loved Fitz at one point, and now it was gone.

But it'd been gone for a long time, and she'd just realized that it had been gone tonight.

Sophie cried even harder because she felt like an idiot. How hadn't she realized that she and Fitz weren't meant to be? There had been tons of signs and red flags, but she'd stayed oblivious to it all.

There was even a chance that Keefe didn't feel the same way about her.

Sophie's sobs turned ugly and loud, and soon Edaline came in and laid in bed with her. She reassured her that everything would be okay and it'd all go away sometime soon.

The crying went on for what felt like another hour before Sophie finally got tired. Her eyes batted open and closed before they finally closed all the way.

Sophie had been through a lot—emotionally—this year, but somehow she'd get through it.

Now you don't have to ask who I ship anymore!!!!

But please, don't spoil it for any other reader who hasn't gotten this far.

Thank you!!!!