TWENTY-NINE

"Thank you so much for dinner," Keefe said, getting up from the chair at the dining room table. "It's was absolutely delicious, but Foster and I have somewhere to be,"

Keefe had come over for dinner that Friday, and Edaline was more than happy to fix his favorite meal—which was baked Ziti with garlic bread.

"Where're you going?" Grady asked with a raised eyebrow. He, on the other hand, had complained about Keefe coming over all afternoon before Keefe had gotten there.

"I promised Foster I'd drive her around town for a little bit," Keefe said with a grin.

Edaline gave him that weird mom-smile before saying, "Well, you two have fun—just don't stay out too late."

"Yes ma'am," Both Keefe and Sophie said at the same time before they left the house and got into Keefe's truck.

"Are you ready?" Keefe asked as they pulled out of the driveway and onto the main road.

Sophie shook her head as she let out a long sigh. "I can't believe I'm helping you with this,"

Keefe shrugged his shoulders. "It's my Senior year and it's almost over—I might as well do something interesting,"

Sophie shrugged her shoulders. She'd already agreed to do it, so there was no going back. And it did seem a little fun...

They drove for a while before Keefe parked on the side of the road and the two of them got out.

"Are you sure you know where we're going?" Sophie asked as they stomped through the woods nearby.

Keefe nodded. "I know exactly where I'm going. I've passed this house almost a hundred times. I've wanted to do this for a long time."

After stomping through the woods for a few more minutes, they came to a small log-cabin surrounded by tons of trees.

There was something familiar about the little house, but Sophie couldn't place what it was. "You have the toilet paper, right?" She asked him.

Keefe nodded, patting the satchel at his side. "I brought ten rolls,"

They got closer to the house and soon enough, they were climbing up the trees and wrapping their branches in toilet paper.

When Sophie was done with her first roll, she suddenly felt a jab of regret and she suddenly felt like something bad was about to happen.

"Keefe," She called as quietly as she could. "I don't think this is a good idea,"

Keefe laughed. "Why not? This is fun,"

Sophie opened her mouth to tell him about her bad feeling, but before she could the front door of the house opened, and Sophie suddenly realized why this house had seemed so familiar.

On the porch, staring at Keefe and Sophie with anger written all over his face, was Mr. Forkle. The man that not only helped her when she'd passed out last year, but he was also the football teams announcer on Friday nights.

Sophie jumped out of the tree and tried to ignore the pain that it caused in her healing ankle. Her face burned red and she tried her best to think of a way out of this situation.

"Um...hi?" Keefe said awkwardly, his face a light shade of pink. "Sorry, we were just—"

Sophie slapped her hand over his face to stop him from saying anything else that could get them in worse trouble.