Halfway

"Oi, Idate!" Naruto called out, "The sea is in the other direction!"

We were running after Idate on foot serving as his guards like the mission required but the fool we were guarding wasn't making things easy.

"Where are you going, idiot? Come back!"

"Who'd go back?!" Idate tsked and picked up his speed, leaving us in the dust behind him. Damn this guy's fast.

We continued to chase after Idate the idiot going through the forest, we stuck to the canopy of the trees.

"Guys, we're catching up! I can smell Idate!" I called back to my team mates.

"But it's impossible now. Now that he's this far from the port, there's no way he could win." Sakura said.

"No, he may of intended to come this way to begin with." Sasuke suggested.

"I agree with Sasuke. Have a little faith in the guy. He seemed so set on winning before so it's hard to believe that he would just run away." I said. "I mean, hell, I don't even like the guy but I know he wouldn't do something as cowardly as running away."

"You've got a point..." Sakura trailed.

"Oh, look! There he is!" I called back and dropped down from the trees to solid ground, Naruto followed suit while Sasuke and Sakura continued the chase in the trees.

"Hey, moron! Why'd you come this direction?" Naruto asked as he ran along side Idate.

"Shut up! It's none of your business!" Idate growled.

"What's with that attitude of yours?" I commented.

"I said, shut up!"

The terrain changed from the forest to the rocky mountain face. My senses were going crazy as I ran. Naruto was too busy with Idate so I looked up to Sasuke and Sakura. Their eyes meet mine and we shared a nod. Something was wrong.

"Naruto! Idate! Be careful--" I was cut off by Idate blindly running straight for the cliff edge. "Watch out!" I cried but Idate ran right over the edge, plummeting to the awaiting ground. Shit!

Without a moments hesitation, I jumped over the cliff after him. All I left behind me was the sound of my team screaming my name. I quickly bit my finger and performed a hand sign, "Summoning Jutsu!"

In a puff of smoke, a large white wolf appeared and caught Idate by the collar out of mid air. I landed on Konoyumi's back and she in turn touched down on an outstretched ledge. With a strong push from her hind legs, she expertly climbed the mountain face and jumped back to where the others were waiting for us.

Konoyumi spat out Idate from her vice like grip and he plomped on his butt back on solid ground. I jumped off Konoyumi's back and stalked my way over to the idiot who nearly got himself killed.

Naruto was about to chew out Idate for being so reckless but I beat him to the cake and my palm collided with Idate's cheek.

Everyone stared at me in shock for my action, even Konoyumi was surprised.

Idate placed a hand on the cheek I slapped him on, his eyes wide as saucers. My eyes narrowed at him as silence claimed us.

After Idate finally managed to process what had just happened, his eyebrows knitted together in anger. He was about to lash out at me but I had a few choice words of my own to say.

"You idiot!" I exclaimed, I could taste the venom beginning to seep through my tone. "It's your god damned fault we were in a situation like that! Do you ever think? We're trying to do our damn job and you ain't making things any easier! You're a childish, immature fool!"