2. PERSONAL

WE ARRIVE back at the hotel and I can already feel myself getting uncomfortable. I know how this goes and even though Hanes is a little different from my usual clients, not many men stray from the normal routine that happens when we get back to the hotel. I just hope it's quick.

He turns on the dim lights as soon as we get back into the room and, once again, I'm struck silent. I don't know what he expects from me and I'm afraid to find out. I have a feeling I already know.

"Do you mind staying a bit longer? I enjoyed your company." He slumps down on the couch.

"Of course." I nod, taking a seat as he motions for me to sit on the couch next to him.

"So, how do you like being an escort? I mean, it can't be great working for that dickhead."

"I guess I can't complain too much. It helps me pay the bills." I chuckle softly and shrug my shoulders.

"Is this really what you wanted to do with your life?" He questions with a furrowed brow.

"I don't think any little girl dreams of being an escort. I never really knew what I wanted to do and when things got tough, Austin promised I'd be making good money doing this." Even though, the majority of the money I make goes back to him.

"Hm..." he mumbles, looking across the room, seeming to not believe what I said.

"What?"

"It's just sad to see girls like you doing gigs like this." He looks back at me, looking me up and down before making eye-contact again.

"Girls like me?"

"You're a nice girl. Sure, you're very pretty and I'm sure that does you well in this business but something tells me you have much more to offer than a small comment in conversation."

I nod. "Well, some of us aren't given the chance."

He stands up and walks over to the mini-fridge where he pulls out a small bottle of red wine. He pours us each a glass and then returns over to the couch.

"Thank you." I smile softly, taking the glass.

"I don't imagine most men you meet treat you very well."

"Some do. Some are much like you and don't expect much afterwards... others take what they like. It's not up to me to say no. They paid for me, they get what they like."

"And you really believe that?"

"It's doesn't matter what I believe."

He shakes his head, seeming uncomfortable with my answer.

"And were you expecting me to ask for more? To take more?"

"It's always something I'm prepared for." I nod, hoping he doesn't change his mind.

It's not that I wouldn't sleep with him. He's a handsome gentleman and rather kind to me. You must understand there's a big difference between knowing you have the choice and knowing you can't say no.

"If there was another job for you... I mean, if you could leave and still survive, would you?"

I take a deep breath. "I'm not allowed to say... but I think you must know my answer."

He shuffles uncomfortably in his seat. He seems to be thinking over something. Then, he reaches for his phone and brings it out of his pocket.

"What's the best way to reach your boss at this time in the night?"

I look up at him with terrified eyes. Did I say the wrong thing?

"He's always on his phone..."

"Mm..." he mumbles before getting up and walking away from me as he goes into the other room.

I'm left alone for a moment. The silence of the room is jarring but peaceful. It's much more pleasant than being forced to have sex with someone. That's half of what I expected to be happening right now. Still, I can't help but worry about him being on the phone with Austin. If he gets angry with him, that'll be on me.

I hear him talking but I can't make out what he's saying as it's muffled by the walls.

Minutes later, he comes back out.

"You're not working for him anymore." He slides his phone into his pocket.

"What?!" I gape, my chest aching as my anxiety takes over.

This is my only income. This is my only way of survival. What could he have said to get me fired?! I did everything he asked!

"I have no other way to make money... this is my livelihood!" I panic.

He walks over closer to me. "You don't work for him anymore..." his voice is low. "You work for me."

My eyes grow even wider. What?!

"What?!"

"You'll work for me now. I'm not sure what I'll do with you but you can be my personal escort."

"But... I—"

"Don't worry. I don't expect you to do any sexual favours for me. I'm not as cruel of a man as he may have made you think. You can come to dinners and parties with me and stay in these nice hotels when you're not needed. I wouldn't mind having a companion around."

"But... why would you do that?"

"Like I said... it's a shame to see a girl like you working a job like this. No one deserves to have this kind of job. To him, you're not an escort, you're an object. To me, you'll actually be an escort. You consent to what you do and I'll pay for your time."

I'm shocked by how quickly everything has changed.

"Now, the catch..." he chuckles slightly. "...is that you will have to sleep beside me. You can sleep on the couch if you'd like but I fear I won't be able to sleep those." He points to the uncomfortable looking couches. "Again, I won't make any moves on you. It's simply an arrangement."

"No... that's fine. I don't mind."

He walks over to the bed, setting his phone on the dresser before looking back at me.

"There's no need to be tense. I'm not going to hurt you."

"I know... I just... this is strange."

"You'll get used to it. I'm sure this lifestyle will be far better than what you're used to."

Within a few hours, I went from a borderline prostitute to a personal escort for a young gentleman who isn't even looking for sex. I'm afraid that if I blink too hard, I'll wake up. This isn't my dream job but it's certainly far better than where I was. I just hope he stays as kind as he seems. Maybe this will be the best change of my life.