20. THE CAMERA

{1 week later}

          THESE THINGS are tricky. When the lines of professional and personal are crossed, there's no going back. What Hanes and I have is no longer professional. It's definitely personal, but I won't let him know that so easily.

We haven't really been intimate since that night at the office. It's been hard to gage when it's appropriate for us to express emotions. Sure, I snuggle up to him in bed now. I wrap my arm around his back and pull him close to me as he holds me tight. My face gets hot in his neck but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to be close to him.

Other than that, there have been moments of playful teasing. He claims he'll have me soon again but by the time he gets home, he gets in the shower and comes to bed to sleep. We've rarely had time to chat. Nothing is much different other than the fact that feelings have been admitted.

I've kicked myself a few times for staying with him. I've hated myself for neglecting my urge to leave and blatantly ignoring the red signs. I brushed them off at first thinking that maybe what happened wasn't what I thought and maybe he's better than that. Maybe he's an honest businessman. But I know that none of that is true.

He's not truthful about everything and still has his secrets which kept me from him in the first place. A part of me knows that this will end badly. The other part of me — the part at the forefront of my brain — is telling me to let go and give in. This could be good. But, oh, I know it will be bad.

Hanes is standing by the dresser, getting dressed now to go to work. He's just sliding his belt through the loops and beginning to do it up.

"So, I'm off again today, do you..." he looks back to me, pausing when he sees my expression. I didn't know I was being so obvious but the look on my face must show my disappointment. He leaves me here alone everyday with nothing to do.

His face changes to give me a sympathetic smile. "What's wrong, doll?"

"Oh, nothing..." I sit up and change my expression, not wanting to project my poor feelings. "Just tired, I guess..."

I don't know if he can tell that I'm lying but I know that he feels bad for me — I can see it in his face.

"I'll figure out something to entertain you while I'm away. Why don't you try picking up some hobbies or...?" he thinks, making me feel like a child.

"It's not up to you to entertain me. I'm fine." I lie. "Don't worry about me."

"Well, I do know that you're bored. You said it back at the office that you feel ignored. I don't mean to be this way; things have just gotten busier. I promise I'll figure something out."

"Or..." I begin to suggest. "I could get a job?"

I know he won't like that idea. His face drops instantaneously, just as I had suspected.

"Yeah, no. How about we don't do that right now. I'll figure something out and we will go from there." He finishes doing up his belt.

"Fine." I sigh as he comes over and kisses my cheek.

"I'll be back." He says before grabbing his suitcase and leaving out the door.

It's not as if I really want to get a job right now, but it would be better than the nothing that I'm doing right now. His reasoning for not wanting me to get a job seems incredibly flawed. He says that he worries someone might recognize me and harass me but I doubt that very much. There's some other reason that I just can't figure out. I will at some point, I hope.

          AFTER ANOTHER day of absolutely nothing, Hanes returns to the hotel. He has a little gift bag in one hand and my interest starts to spike.

"Hey," he smiles. "I got you something."

"Ou... what is it?" I perk up on the end of the bed.

He lifts a box out of the bag. It's a camera.

"One of my co-workers loves photography. He said that it would be a good time for you to pass time." He hands the box to me.

"He knows about me?" I furrow my brows in confusion. For some reason, I thought I might be a secret to his co-workers. Or, at least, they wouldn't know that my job is to sit and do nothing in his hotel room.

"Of course. You are playing a part, Viv." He chuckles. "I just told him that you stay at home most days since you're 'unemployed', so I asked him if he had any ideas."

It feels strange to know that he talks about me to his colleges but I guess it shouldn't be that shocking. He's right; I am playing a part.

"I see," I look down at the camera box and begin to open it. "And what will I photograph?" I chuckle.

"Whatever you'd like, I guess. Maybe this will entice you to take a look around." He walks over to the window and looks out at the city below.

"I thought that made you nervous." I say as I lift the camera out of its box and attempt to turn it on.

"Well," He shrugs as he turns back around to me. "I guess I've got to get over that sometime."

I get the camera on and aim it at Hanes. He shows up in the viewfinder and I quickly snap a picture.

When I look up at him from the camera, he smiles softly. "I'm glad you like it."

I really do. My cheeks aren't used to smiling this much. Normally, I don't get many good surprises. This one, however, feels like it would be very good. He's right. This will give me more reason to get out and do stuff.

"Thank you." I tuck the camera back away in its box for safe keeping and go to set it on the dresser.

"Now, since I've got you all alone..." he smirks, striding up to the bed quickly.

I brace myself and squeal as he jumps onto the bed, and crawls over me, kissing all over my face. I giggle while he gives me pecks all over and down my neck. This feels good. I feel happy.