17. FROM UP HERE

"I do hope you can forgive me."

He offered for us to drive or to walk since, I'm guessing, the restaurant he picked out is close enough to do so. I voted for walking since I rarely get time out anymore. Fresh air will help to ease my mind as well.

"There's nothing to forgive. You're right. It was none of my business." I shrug as we continue walking down the street.

The roads are busy and loud. I don't like walking around in the city that much. I'm used to it now but I remember how calming it was to walk around in a small town. There were fewer cars and less people. Everybody knew each other or at least knew somebody that you knew. My parents were happy there. They said it was the best place to raise a family — i.e. me. I know that it was expensive though. Houses around there were not cheap since everyone was starting to romanticize the small town lifestyle back when my parents moved there. I always hated that small town, now I miss it. It's funny how you realize how good you had it once things get worse.

"No, you deserved a better answer than the one I gave you. I was rude to just dismiss you like that. I understand that now." He assures me. There seems to be true sympathy to his voice as if he's actually sorry. Maybe he is. Regardless, that doesn't really change much for me.

"Well, thank you for acknowledging that but, really, it's none of my business." I assure him.

"I was just afraid that you'd leave if I told you."

Funnily enough, you not telling me is the reason I'm leaving — is all I can think, though I don't say any of this.

We begin to cross the street. With this big coat and heels on, it's hard to get anywhere fast and the timer is counting down at an all-too-quick pace. Hanes grabs ahold of my hand and puts his other arm around my back to help me across the road faster. Once we're on the other side, he lets go.

"You don't have to tell me, really."

"I want to. You're right, how can you trust me if I'm keeping all these secrets from you."

If he tells me, and I leave anyway, what is he going to do? What if he tells me and then I really can't leave?

"Honestly, I'd rather put it all behind us."

"What has made you change your mind all of the sudden?" He cocks a brow at me, sounding confused.

I shrug my shoulders, unsure of how to answer that without telling the truth but without lying.

"I just changed my mind." Not about wanting to know, per say, but about you.

He nods and continues to look ahead though I can tell that he doesn't believe that's it.

WE WALK for another ten minutes and I find myself tiring out but Hanes claims that we aren't far from the place.

"Here we are." He stops in front of a tall building, one that is certainly not a restaurant. So, why are we here?

"Here?" I question, wondering if I've missed the point.

"Yeah, trust me, come in." He offers his hand to me to help me up the steps.

Trust him? A bold demand considering what we've discussed.

I take his hand anyway and he helps me up the steps and into the building. It's busy with people rushing all over to different rooms and elevators. We walk past all of them into the back where there is another elevator.

"Where are you taking me, Hanes?" I cock my brow and grin, wondering what this is working up to.

"You'll have to see..." he smirks as we step into the elevator.