35. IN THE GARDENS

{1 week later}

HANES AND I have been at the house for about a week now. I still get mixed up on where everything is in this place. Everything is black or some some shade of grey.

I've been spending most of my time out in the back gardens, laying in the grass and tending to the flowers that I'm shocked are still alive. The weather has been warmer here. It almost feels like midsummer even though it's nearing December. Hanes doesn't pay the gardens any mind but I love them. Some days he'll just sit out with me and watch me care for them.

Hanes hasn't left the property since we arrived. I asked about him needing to go to work and he simply dismissed it and said that I didn't need to worry about it. I think the thing that's worrying me the most is that, if Hanes is too afraid or feels like he can't leave the property, then what kind of danger lies beyond those gates? It must be something awful for him to drop everything that he cared about to move out here.

I've been working out in the gardens again today. I went around to the front of the house to check on the flowers out front before returning inside. When I come inside the house, I walk past the statue to the back to see Hanes sitting in the rocking armchair by the big windows overlooking the back gardens. He must have been watching me.

When my I get a little closer, he turns in the chair slightly and looks up at me from his book with delight.

"There you are! I saw you had disappeared from out back and I was wondering where you ran off to." He smiles.

I scamper over closer and he sets his book on the side table so I can sit on his lap. Curled up on his lap and looking at him, I fold my hands behind his neck. He puts his one hand on my ass and rests the other on my thigh.

"How are the flowers today?" He questions, looking at me with a soft expression.

"Good. Better since I've been here." I chuckle. "You barely looked after them!"

"Ah, well," he adjusts in his seat. "I've never had much time for delicate things like those."

He pauses and then pinches my nose between his knuckles. "Except for you."

I chuckle and wipe away the reminiscent feeling that his fingers left on my nose.

I sigh and look over to the book he had been reading.  It's unfamiliar to me and without its dust jacket. It's green cover bears no name but has a gold trim. It looks ages old. Then my vision wanders back outside to see the sun fading behind the clouds, casting a shadow over the grass.

"Are you happy here?" Hanes asks as he tucks my hair behind my ear.

I look down at him, his eyes questioning as they look into mine. I know he's worried that I'm unhappy here but, what's not to like? Sure, I miss the freedom of the outside and I'm terrified of what could happen, but this place is the nicest place to hide.

"Yeah, I mean, as happy as I could be hiding away." I chuckle softly to try to soften my admittance. He smiles softly for a moment but it quickly fades.

"I'm sorry about you having to stay here. I know it's not fair to you." He looks down.

I bring his face up, cupping his cheeks in my hands.

"I'm happy to be here with you."

I give him a quick pecking kiss and then shuffle on his lap to lay against his chest as he lays his head upon mine and we look out on the fields.

WHILE HANES is passed out on the chair, his stress overtaking him and sending him to sleep, I walk about the house to look for things to do. Maybe there is some dusting that needs to be done or... rearranging of books. I'm not sure.

As I look around, there's not a speck of dust on anything. Considering the entire home is made up of black or near black furniture and objects, you'd think there would be some visible dust to swipe off; this is especially concerning considering this house has been left abandoned for months at least.

I find myself back at the statue. Its pouring water creating echoing splashes. It's the only sound in the house. Hanes spoke about it with a lot of respect. I do wish that this thing really could protect us in this house. Maybe then, Hanes wouldn't be so worried.

I carry onto the next room but then hear a different sound coming from the main room again. I peer back out but, once again, see that nothing is different. Maybe Hanes is awake? I walk back over to see him still asleep in the chair. Maybe it was just an odd splash from the fountain?

I look back up at the statue again with questioning eyes only to walk away. Something feels off about this place, but I can't tell what yet.