14. TEASE

{4 days later}

          THE OTHER NIGHT changed a lot about how I feel about Hanes. Before, I had a minor lusting crush for the man who has been looking after me. Now, I have an obsession with teasing him. Now, all I can think about is what it would be like to have something more.

I know nothing more will come of this though. This is purely business as he said in the beginning. I know all he wants is attention and some sexual interaction but, other than that, I'm useless to him.

Sure, at first, the thought bummed me out but I know that I'm just getting in my own head. I can shut off these feelings, they've left before with others — I can make them leave again with him.

"Viv, I'm going to a meeting. Would you like to come?" Hanes asks as he puts on his gloves.

"A meeting?! I can come?!" I get excited.

"I'm thinking I could use a little... persuasion."

I'm not overly excited about being his pawn but it's far better than being stuck with nothing to do in this godforsaken hotel room. I want some adventure — even if that is only sitting in a boardroom while listening to men talk about shit I don't understand or care about. I need something — anything.

"I'll do it! So long as you aren't pawning me off to someone else for the night." I fold my arms, making my stance clear.

"You still doubt my morals, don't you?" He shakes his head as I bend down to slip on my shoes.

"You have yet to prove yourself." I stand up straight, grabbing my coat, ready to go out the door.

"Really??" He raises his eyebrows at me as he opens the door. "So, what do I have to do to earn it? I thought I was doing well."

"You're doing okay but just because I was treated like shit that does not mean the bar is on the floor. You've met the floor, now it's time to aim a little higher." I walk out, looking at him as I talk and essentially walking backwards out the door.

"Ou," he holds his chest as if he's been shot. "Well, I thought I was doing better than the floor."

"Maybe you're a bit higher... but barely."

"Well, Miss. Vivienne, I will try harder." He grins at me.

I smile. "Good. You should."

I'm shocked at the progress he's made since I first met him. He was never overly cruel to me but I can already see him trying hard to change and be better towards others. Not being cruel is not enough to deem you a good person or worthy of my attention. Sure, I probably wouldn't be here if he wasn't paying me to be but I'm not complaining about it either. I enjoy my time with him and as much as I continuously hate to admit it, I wish things were different so I could give him a real chance.

I can't be with the man who's paying me to show him love. It feels unauthentic and strange. Maybe in another lifetime we could be more.

I'LL BE HONEST, I had no idea about what he really did when we drove over to the meeting. I had assumed that maybe he had some of daddy's money and he made a business or started one in one of the skyscrapers on the nice side of the city. He's always done up and clean. I expected an office building with lots of white walls and windows. So you can imagine my surprise when we stopped out behind an old warehouse outside of the city.

"Um... this is it?" I try not to sound snobbish, I mean, I have no leg to stand on but I feel like I could get murdered out here.

We're in a wasteland of dirt and tumbleweeds and this warehouse seems to be the only building for a few miles. What the fuck is this place?

"No, this is a small detour. Stay in the car, he'll keep the car running. I'll be right back, whatever you do, don't get out." He says before leaving the car without another word.

The driver pulls away and begins driving around aimlessly.

I'm stunned, unsure of what he could possibly be doing in that warehouse. Is he a drug dealer? A gang leader? What if he's caught up in some illegal business and is money laundering? Am I living off of blood money?!

With all of these questions posed with no answer, I begin to panic. I have no idea who I'm living with. I'm sure I've come in contact with a fair share of dangerous men but never anything like this; Wall Street is different than this.

"Um... excuse me, sir. Where are we going?" I ask the driver quietly.

"We're stalling." He says bluntly.

"Stalling?"

"Until he's done."

"And what exactly is he doing?"

I get no answer but instead I'm greeted by the car speeding back and then stopping abruptly. I swear I almost got whiplash within these past two moments.

I see Hanes striding up to the car with purpose. He's not running but he's clearly trying to get to the car in a timely fashion.

He whips the door open and then slides inside before slamming it shut as we speed off.

He's out of breath and a bit dirty. He reaches into his pocket, pulling out a handkerchief of sorts as he wipes away the dirt and... blood from his knuckles?!

"What the hell happened in there?! What did you do?!"

"Some things are for you to know and others aren't. This is one of those things that isn't." He pants.

"But why is there blood on your hands?!"

"Leave it, Viv." I can hear him becoming irritated.

"But—"

"I said leave it!" He snaps.

Suddenly, I realize that maybe being ignorant and blind in the hotel room might have been better than this.