34. FURTHER FROM HELL

HANES PACKED UP our things and called for a car later in the night. He was adamant that we needed to get out as soon as we can.

With all of my things packed, I stepped over the rubble, taking Hanes hand as we rushed out of the room. The room where I had been kept away for weeks. The room that I hated. But also the room where I got to know the man that I'm running away with.

The car picked us up out front and Hanes proceeded to tell him the best way to get to the place where we were heading to — hiding in. I still don't know why they're coming after us, or exactly who they are, other than Kai. After the events of earlier, I decided not to ask.

Drained from the fear and terror just hours prior, I begin to doze off in the car. My eyes are becoming heavy and I struggle to keep them open.

"Here." Hanes pats his lap for me to lay my head down.

I give in to my fatigue and lay down on him. He runs his fingers through my hair. I look up at him for a second to see him looking out the window with stress painted across his face. I'm scared. But right now, I'm more tired than scared.

IT TOOK US several hours to get there. I ended up falling asleep on Hanes' lap with his arm over me.

When I woke, it was morning and we had arrived.

Now, we stand just outside of the massive home, as I wait for Hanes to unlock the gate so we can get into the yard and into the house.

As he unlocks the gate with the code, the gate slowly swings open and Hanes walks with me up the winding driveway.

The house is built out of old stone and has tall glass windows, some with old stained glass. The front is rounded out with a pergola wrapping around it. The stone steps and are carved of a similar stone that the house is. I'm in awe of this place. It's beautiful and the fact that Hanes doesn't just stay here all the time is shocking to me.

"Is this yours?" I question, my jaw still a little slack and my mouth gaping.

He nods. "Do you like it?"

"It's incredible... I mean, I can't believe it. This is amazing!" I beam, looking up at the building in awe again.

"Well, I'm glad you like it." He chuckles.

"Why don't you stay here all the time?"

He shakes his head. "My business is in the city."

"Well, I think you should retire out here."

He chuckles again and places a hand on my lower back to lead me into the house.

Stepping in the front door, I'm shocked by what I see. The light exterior doesn't even come close to alluding to the dark interior. There's a grand entryway with black tile and deep navy walls. The twin grand staircases have black wood and black curling railings. Perhaps the most amazing aspect of the place is the statue in the middle of the room. It's a three-headed doberman pincer, it's body thick with muscle. I look back up to the dogs' open mouths, watching the water spilling out from their jaws.

"Goodness..." I shock, unable to keep my jaw from dropping to the floor.

"You don't like it?" He seems concerned. "I know it's—"

"—It's beautiful." I interrupt.

"—dark."

"I love it..." I walk further in, looking up at the tall ceilings that arch up into a point.

I walk over closer to the sculpture, entranced by its strange figure. The stone is smooth and shines. It's almost so black that you can barely make out its figure.

I can feel him close behind me before his chest presses up against my back. I jump a bit, spooked by his sudden presence.

"Sorry, dear, didn't mean to scare you." His voice is quiet as he places a hand on my shoulder.

"It's okay." I let out a small laugh under my breath before returning my gaze upon the statue.

"That's Cerberus. They guard this house."

Something about the name Cerberus sends chills crawling under my skin. I take a deep breath to keep my composure.

"They're... very big."

"Only the best." He adds.

He moves his hand to my lower back and I look up at him.

"Let's get settled in, shall we?" He slides my bag to me.

I nod and take my bag as I follow him, finding it difficult to refrain from looking back at the magnificent beast behind us.

As we walk away, I swear I can hear something echo out from behind us. I snap back but see nothing has changed. I'm just in my head and a little off from the travel. That's all... that's all.