33. TARTARUS

I USED TO WONDER about what death would be like. It's not as if I wanted to die or even thought I was going to soon when I thought about it. I think everyone questions this at some point. Will it be cold? Dark? Light? Painful? Peaceful?

Now, as I question it, I know that it could happen at any moment now.

"Goodness, what has he done to you?" Kai walks closer slowly.

I sit silent, shaking and praying for him to stay away.

"So timid..." he remarks. "What do you think I'm going to do?"

"... hurt me..." Is all I manage to say.

"Do you know who I am?"

I nod. "You work with Hanes."

His face furrows. I'm not sure what I said to cause that. Then his face changes and his eyebrows raise.

"My goodness... you don't know." He sounds shocked.

"Don't know about what?"

What don't I know about?! I'm so confused by all of this. I wish I knew what he wanted and why he was here.

"He hasn't told you... you don't know that you're..." he seems baffled by something that I can't quite figure out. "Well... goodness. He's done quite a lot to you."

My heart pelts around in my chest, threatening to break free.

"Has he... fucked you? Cause I know that he wouldn't be doing all of that work for nothing." He scoffs.

I'm disgusted by his first question but confused by the second. What work is he referring to?

"Please, don't hurt me..." I beg.

"You're afraid of me... but not him?" He scoffs. "You don't even know who I am. How could you be afraid?"

"I don't know what you want from me... or what you want to do. That's what scares me."

He shakes his head. "If only you knew..."

My heart is starting to ache, it's pounding that fast.

"So, what do you want?" My voice shakes.

"I'm here for him but, goodness," his tongue peaks out from his teeth for a moment as he pulls in his lip. "... you might be better." He moves in slowly.

I can't catch my breath now. I feel like I might pass out. I look around the room for an escape but I'm cornered. I can't get past him.

There's noise coming from outside the door and we both pause.

"GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM HER!" Hanes' voice bellows, shaking the room.

He bursts into the bathroom, his face full of fury and only becoming angrier when he sees Kai. Then his eyes fall on me and fear strikes his expression.

He rushes past Kai and places himself between Kai and me, sitting on the edge of the bathtub with his back to me.

"Get the hell out of here, Kai. You have no place being here." He nearly growls.

"Do you know what happened today? Do... do you fucking know what happened today?!" Kai's voice is quiet and shaky — not in a fearful way but building an expression of anger.

"That's not up to me, Kai. You know my hands are tied!"

"I know that's not true. This is your job. You could have stopped it... or fixed it! YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN HER OUT OF THERE!!" Kai yells.

Hanes stands up now.

"I told you to get the fuck out, Kai. Coming here isn't going to fix anything."

Kai looks past Hanes to me.

"You think this is going to last? You can't keep her forever."

"Don't you fucking dare bring her into this."

"I see your games." Kai's voice turns poisoness. "Wait until he finds out about this..."

"KAI, GET THE FUCK OUT!!" Hanes yells, shocking the room back to silence.

"Fine." Kai scoffs. "But get ready to watch your world burn."

With his final threat, Kai gives me one last glare and then leaves.

Hanes is still for a moment, making sure he leaves. Then he turns around quickly to me and falls to his knees outside of the tube, reaching his hands in to hold my face.

"Did he touch you? Did he hurt you?" He asks frantically, searching my face and body.

I shake my head, tears finally fleeing my eyes. My heart is starting to fall back to a softer pace but still races. My breath is still not back.

"No, I'm fine... I'm okay..."

He reaches into the tub and I reach out as we hold each other.

"I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry." His voice is weak and sympathetic. "I should have known."

I cry against his shoulder, my fear seeping out of me.

"I'm gonna get us out of here, okay? We will leave town and go somewhere where they can't find you... us, okay?"

I just want to be safe. Somewhere safe, somewhere kind.

We hold each other tight, not letting go for a while, fearful of losing each other again.