51. HEAVENLY GIFTS OF LIFE

I GASP, pulling in a deep breath and refreshing my lungs. My body is flushed with adrenaline as I wake. I open my eyes to blinding light and they struggle to adjust.

When they do adjust, I see Hades over me. His face is elated with glossy eyes and tears as he reaches out and pulls me into his arms.

"Oh, thank God!" he cries, kissing my cheeks over and over again.

"What... what happened?!" I look around, trying to retrace my memory to remember.

I look around and see that we're in the middle of a field. Tall grass surrounds us and the sun beats down to warm our skin.

The more seconds that pass, the more I recall it all. The air escaping my lungs and Hades holding onto me in the storm of Zeus. I remember him giving up his life as a god for a human life with me. He saved my life and gave me a second chance. He gave up everything just to live however long we have left with me.

I hold him back. My hate for him is fleeting and being replaced with gratitude.

"You're okay... we're okay." He rocks with me in his arms. "I was so worried you wouldn't wake up."

I look up at him with wet eyes. "You gave it all up for me. You're human for me..."

"I never wanted another second without you in my life. I would rather live a day with you than a million without. Now, we may live out the rest of our lives with each other." He smiles softly.

I wrap my arms around him tighter, happy tears falling down my cheeks. I giggle slightly from all the happiness bursting inside of me.

"Where are we going to go?" I question. "Where will we live? I have barely any money."

He looks down, thinking it over. "I don't have anything anymore but... I'll figure something out. I mean, we could go back to the city and I could get the money from the cover business. There should still be some money in the safe there — enough to help us start a new life."

I smile, thinking about building a life with him.

"That sounds nice." I nod and smile back, hugging me tight again as we lay in the field in peace.

WE DID just as Hades suggested we do. We found our way back to the road and walked until we found a phone to call a cab. It was a long drive back to the city but I was just thankful to be alive and have him next to me. He wore a smile the whole way back and the rigidity of his expression was gone completely. He's finally at peace.

We got the cab to take us all the way to a cheap hotel, where we plan to stay until tomorrow when we will find a way to get far from this place.

We sit on the bed in the hotel room now, Hades looks at me with a soft expression as we sit across from each other on the bed.

"What?" I question his gaze.

"Nothing." He shakes his head. "This is just strange. I feel strange."

"What's different?"

"I can feel my... heartbeat. I never had that feeling before. I didn't know you could feel your heart."

"Usually, it's not something I can feel unless I'm nervous. Are you nervous?" I ask concerned.