SPICY

Back to the present

"Well, what can I say? I told you that he was an exceptional man! Granny BaoBao, we did as you asked. Dinner is cooked and now we can all enjoy a meal together." Wei Ying grinned.

Everyone sat down together and began to eat. Picking some side dishes and placing it in his grandmother's bowl, Wei Ying was eager to see her reaction to his cooking.

5 faces, 5 mouths, 1 man anticipating, all taking a bite...

3....2.....1.....

*Spit*

*Spit*

*Spit*

"WEI WUXIAN! ARE YOU TRYING TO BURN OFF OUR TONGUES!?" Jiang Cheng was angry. He knew from his adolescent age that Wei Wuxian is a spicy fanatic. How could ever forget the one time he used up their entire jar of spicy chili peppers within one meal. He didn't even sweat or teared up, like who could ever tolerate that?

Shijie was too nervous to prepare her soup and the main dish and completely forgot that they allowed A-Xian to cook the side dishes. She loves her little brothers very much but her tongue is just unable to handle it.

"Mama! My mouth hurts! I can't breathe! Waaaaaahhaaa" Poor A-yuan was only 3 years old and had just tasted a dish not meant to be eaten by normal people.

"Oh! I forgot that babies can't eat spicy!" Wei Ying scoops a bowl of lotus roots and pork rib soup and fed some to A-yuan. Luckily the pain has subsided and his tongue has stopped burning.

All of a sudden...

*gulp*

*gulp*

"Lan Zhan! You actually ate it! Are you alright!?" Wei Ying gasps, gently placing his arm on Lan Zhan's shoulder.

"Do you need some water? Lotus roots and Pork rib soup? Milk?????"

*gulp*

"No need. Your side dish is delicious Wei Ying." Lan Zhan took another piece and swallowed it like a champ. What a man, hard to find nowadays.

*gulp*

Another gulp was heard, this time, it was Granny Baobao.

"Mmm A-Ying, that was delicious! I never had something so spicy before! Please teach Granny your recipe!" Baoshan Sanren was continuously stuffing her mouth with Wei Ying's side dish. No one ever knew where Wei Wuxian's weird obsession with spicy ever came from, but just now, the mystery has been solved.

"Granny Baobao, do you really like it? Is it not too spicy for you?" Wei Ying wanted to assure his grandma's health too. Today he just found out that his friend and grandma can both handle his cooking level of spice.

"Aye, not bad Lan Zhan! Not a drop of sweat or a tear! Let me tell you! A-Ying's dad ate something just as spicy and he had no idea how to handle it...."

The rest of the night, Grandma Baoshan Sanren would talk about the family stories of Wei Ying's mom and how she raised her and in return, the Jiang siblings and Wei Ying talked about how they grew up.

.

.

.

.

.

"Forgive my imprudence, it is 9 pm. I must head off to bed for rest now." Lan Zhan stood up, bowed, and began to head off to bed.

Just before walking off, A-yuan managed to cling himself to Lan Zhan's leg and tug on his robe.

"Papa! Can I sleep with you tonight?"

"Mn. Is that okay Wei Ying?" Lan Zhan looks down at his little son and nods in agreement.

Seeing this, Wei Ying couldn't deny that it was too adorable.

"Mhm! I don't mind, A-yuan is a good boy. Isn't that right?" Wei Ying squatted down and pinched A-yuan's cheeks.

"All right, we should head off to bed too. Today was a long journey and we need to rest well." Shijie chimed in and were off to bed as well.

Baoshan Sanren watched as everyone left one by one to their guest rooms for the night. It must've been tiring seeing as they were travelling for most of their day.

"All right. Have a good rest everyone. A-Ying, come with me for a bit. I think there are some spare blankets for you in my closet."

Nodding in agreement, Wei Ying followed his grandma while the rest went off to sleep.

On the way to the closet, Wei Ying wanted to start a conversation.

" Say, Granny, did the rice for dinner seem funny to yo-"

Before he could finish his sentence, Wei Ying stumbled into the closet expecting a blanket and maybe a few other miscellaneous things, NOT A ROOM FULL OF SWORDS, BOOKS, AND AT TABLE FULL OF MYSTERIOUS GLOWING LIQUIDS.

"Granny! This is?"

"I had to divert you away from your family for a bit. Remember what I said before? You are now my grand-disciple. I must teach you in-place of your mother and so, I must teach you all that I taught her."

Widened in shock, Wei Ying just remembered the story his grandma was telling during dinner. That means, he must learn all types of fighting styles, history of cultivation, and elixirs.

This....is gonna be a loooong night.

Meanwhile...

Lan Zhan and A-yuan had just finished changing into their sleeping robes. A-yuan stood by the bed and waited until Lan Zhan picked him up and carried him into the bed. Giving A-yuan the bedside further from the window, he can protect him in case anything happened.

Giggling around, A-yuan lays down, ready to sleep.

"Papa, how did you and Mama meet?"

Lifting his eyebrows in shock, Lan Zhan cleared his throat.

"We met when he came to Cloud Recesses to study."

"Ohhhh." A-yuan nodded in acknowledgment.

In a moment of courage and boldness, Lan Zhan asked A-yuan something that has been going on in his mind.

"A-yuan.....How did you know that I was your Papa?"