ch. 25

"SO you knew it was me all along?!", itsuka asked, baffled

"no. I didn't know it was you, but most things were set up to figure out who it was. there was no way a mere marquess like chisaki, who's from the villain kingdom, could enter the annual ball without a special invitation. an invitation that only royals could get their hands on", nanako explained as she wiped her tears away with a handkerchief.

"then how—"

"that was the first clue. chisaki had warned me about someone but didn't tell me due to him knowing that I wouldn't believe him if he straight out just told me it was you. so I had todoroki guard him in the cellar that day".

"and I knew you wouldn't give up until you saw me shut my mouth forever, so princess has me fake my death", chisaki continued.

itsuka was shocked. "a-and momo...?"

"when chisaki faked his death, he came clean and told me about you. I didn't want to believe it, I really didn't want to. but with monoma showing up at the village when I was captured, I couldn't take the chance", nanako said, feeling a little guilty.

"so that's why you sent todoroki to princess momo!!", kaminari said, like he discovered something great.

"to protect her", shinso said.

"and that fight you saw between nana and I, it was staged", tomura nonchalantly said.

before itsuka could ask how they found out someone was spying on them, tomura beat her to it. "we knew since we heard a twig snap. whoever you sent to spy on us sucked at their job", tomura said bluntly.

"tsk". itsuka internally cursing awase for screwing that up.

"itsuka, why would you do this?", nemuri asked, clearly broken from the sight of her daughter turn to villainy.

nemuri knew why she did it, as she had already explained earlier. however, nemuri couldn't fathom that it would end up like this.

nemuri's usual flirty personality was changed to a very serious one. on one hand, itsuka was her precious daughter. but on another standpoint, she had to punish her for her terrible conducts.

nanako and momo, seeming to see their mother's struggle with what to do next, spoke up.  

momo agreed that there should be a punishment, but perhaps one that's less severe than death. nanako offered to strip itsuka of her title and ban her from the palace, along with her knights.

it might've been brutal, but it was better than death. nemuri agreed and sent aizawa and yagi to take care of it, as she was still distraught.

with itsuka being dragged away, nemuri and her knights left, leaving tomura, nanako, momo, and their servants.

"thank you", momo said genuinely, as she teared up. nanako just smiled and held momo's hands.

"of course. it's my duty to protect my sister after all", nanako replied.

momo sighed before todoroki returned to nanako's side. although seeming hesitant to let him go, momo eventually left with her knights, now leaving nanako in the presence of tomura.

"you guys can wait outside", nanako said as her knights trickled out. tomura gave his people a look, signaling for them to exit as well.

"I'm sorry", nanako started.

tomura looked shook. 'why's she sorry? we both knew it was just an act', tomura thought.

"I know we were just putting on a show but...I feel somewhat guilty...I didn't m-mean to yell so much...", nanako mumbled as she fiddled with her thumbs.

"it's okay. I'm s-sorry for saying all those mean things to you too", tomura quietly said as he walked over to nanako and gave her a hug.

it was the first time he had really initiated any physical contact. and to say, nanako was very happy.

✿.。.:* ☆:**:. nanako's pov .:**:☆ *:.。.✿

embracing tomura felt nice after all that's happened. I wrapped my short arms around him, inhaling the scent of death—lmao jk!

he smelled like freshly brewed oolong tea. while I smelled like...dead people. 'perhaps I've been sitting in the cell for too long', I thought.

letting go, I smiled at him. "u-umm...I'm gonna go now. I still need to eat and stuff", I awkwardly said, realizing that I was still in my nightgown.

he nodded and watched me leave. "c-can we eat l-lunch together later?", I asked before fully disappearing from his sight. he gave me a smile and nod, indicating a yes.

walking out, I saw my knights waiting patiently for me along with ochako, mina, and chisaki.

"thank you for giving me a second chance", chisaki said, with a rare genuine smile.

"of course. but your duty of taking care of eri still stands. I don't know how you're gonna explain to her that you're not dead, but make it happen", I ordered.

he gave a quick bow and excused himself.

once I arrived back in my room, ochako and mina set up the bath, dropping rose petals in the warm water. they set out a dress for today and went to go prepare a late breakfast for me.

I slipped into the slightly steamy water, relaxing my muscles. my mind wandered about as I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the edge of the tub.

"what a day...and it's only fucking morning", I said to myself.

"what's next?"

I smiled in content that everything was somewhat okay now. there was only one more thing that needed to be taken care of.

'momo and tomura's engagement'.