Chapter Three: "Uh.....The First Night Though?"

DEVANTE POV

THREE MONTHS LATER.......

I don't usually dig these new assistants, but this Denise chick is THE WHOLE PACKAGE!!! I know everyone sees me as the player of the group, but that's honestly a part I play to amp up the group's appeal. Luckily K-Ci is too thirsty for her liking, Dalvin is too fickle with his chicks, and JoJo is still dating his girlfriend Renee. Now, I just broke up with my girlfriend of two years, Monica. She's going to the Army and I tried to be the supportive boyfriend, but I cut that shit off when I realized she was cheating on me with her sister's man. Just because my heart is broken doesn't mean I'm gonna go dog the next woman for it. That shit is so unfair. It's been three months since Denise has been working with the group, and I've been dropping subtle hints that I want to take her out, but  I don't think she gets it. She gone learn today!

We had just got finished posing for our album artwork, and Denise had rushed over to the record store, I overheard her telling Andre Harrell (our manager) that she was dying to grab Lenny Kravitz new album, "Mama Said." It seems as though she has a thing of Bohemian, hippie types of guys. I'm an R&B bad boy, so this is what she'll be working with. In an effort to not look thirsty, I made my way inside the store, pretending to look at records and she looked up, saw me, and began laughing.

Me: Whatchu laughin' at, baby girl?

Denise: You think I would notice what you were doing, DeVante?

Me: Yeah, getting some new music....just like you are.

Denise: No. You were coming in here to get at me for the 1,000th time in 3 months.

I looked up at the ceiling and chuckled. One smart chick, let me tell ya.

Me: So, let me take you out!

Denise: Out where?

Now she's playing. She knows what I mean!

Me: Let's have dinner.

Denise: The five of us!? BWAHAHA! Stop playing.

Me: No, the two of us...me and you....ALONE.

From there, she stopped laughing and her face became as serious as mine.

Denise: Look, you wouldn't want to go out with me. I'm not your type.

Me: I think you should let me decide that, baby. I'm asking you to go out with me because quite frankly, I'm tired of sistas faking and perpretrating with high heels, press-on toenails and baby daddy drama. You, are different from all that I can tell. If you hate it, I'll never ask you out again.

Denise: Alright. Where are we going?

Me: The Underground.

Denise: That place is always packed! We'll never get in.

Me: I already made a reservation, baby.

Denise: What time?

Me: 7:30pm, and don't wear any panties.

She gave me an angry look. I playfully grabbed her face and she instantly began laughing. We'll have a great time, I promise that.

FIVE HOURS LATER....

I pulled up to her apartment building in my Cadillac. I got out, walked inside and rang the doorbell, which read "ZURITA, DENISE."

Denise: Hello? Is this you, DeVante?

Me: Yes, it is.

Denise: Come on up, darlin'!

She buzzed me in and I took the elevator all the way to the 7th floor, apartment 7D. I knocked twice, and Denise opened the door. Her long hair was parted so perfectly, and she wore a short, strapless emerald green velvet dress with black high heels. I wanted to make love to her right then and there, but I wanted to be a gentleman and exercise some form of self-control. Her little one was visiting Denise's mom in Philly, so it would be the two of us. I'm kinda glad we're going on this date, but I would have liked to have seen her little one.