Chapter Nine: What About Us?

DENISE POV

It's the weekend! I'm not going out partying or anything, but I will cool out at home with my Sugarplum. Tonight, I ordered an extra large pizza with pepperoni, spinach, pineapples, and chicken. I decided to watch a marathon of Dragon Ball. Hey hey, I may be a mother, but I'm young at heart. Zoelle and I were laughing and giggling as she played in my arms.  I was so caught up in our fun that I almost ignored the doorbell. I held her gently in my arms as I let the pizza delivery guy in. I paid him the $34.78 and closed the door behind him. I grabbed a paper plate, grabbed three slices and a can of guava juice and sat with Zoelle on the tv, feeding her.

I was watching tv when I heard my phone ringing. I ignored it, thinking it would be DeVante. Yes, I'm still mad at him for saying what he said, so I don't why the fuck he would be calling on me. The phone rang again, and I angrily answered it.

Me: WHAT!?

I must have scared Zoelle because she burst out crying. Oh no, I did scare my baby! I cradled her in my arms and soothed her gently.

Me: I'm sorry, who may I ask is calling me?

Pamela: It's me, Pam.

Me: I'm sorry...I thought you were---

Pamela: I already know. Why don't you talk to him?

Me: After what he said to me? Forget that and forget him!

Pamela: You can't really do that, you do work for them in case you forgot.

Me: Fuck! You're right. I'm still not calling him.

Pamela: I'm sure he's sorry for what went down, he had no right to say that to you. Who is he to nit-pick your decisions?

Me: Exactly.

Pamela: I just wanted to check on you guys and see if you were okay.

Me: We're good. Zoelle, can you say hi to Pam?

I put the phone to her ear and she said "I!" She's so silly. When I took the phone back, she whined and I put it back to her ear.

Zoelle: Dada!

From there, my heart sank. She really thinks that DeVante is her dad. I hated the fact that I couldn't get my baby to understand this situation, but I felt some way about DeVante...that he was a man who for the first time since my dad, listened and cared about what I felt and what I had to say. Part of me wants to call DeVante and hear him out, but I'm still angry.

THE FOLLOWING MONDAY....

I didn't have to go to work because.....it's the 1st Annual Uptown Records Picnic! I was looking forward to this because I could show my little one off to everyone and because I could RELAX!!! I got Zoelle ready, then myself, and after we got dressed I double checked her diaper bag, stroller, my duffel bag and Junjo's doggy bag. It was going to get pretty hot, so I had on a cute tanktop with Freddie Mercury's face on it along with some short shorts and green Chuck Taylor's. My hair was down and I wore a snapback to the back and we were out the door.

THIRTY MINUTES LATER....

We made it to the picnic and found a nice seat in between Pamela and Heavy D.

Pamela: Ayye!

Heavy D: Hey there. Is this little Zoelle!?

Me: Yup!

Heavy D: Can I hold her?

Me: Yeah.

Pamela: Good, we gon' get us some food.

Heavy D: Okay.

I went with Pamela to the food table and we talked.

Pamela: You getting thick! Why didn't I look this good after I had Jonathan?

Me: Haha!

Pamela: You seen Jodeci?

Me: No.

Pamela: You see DeVante?

Me: Ask me if I care.

We laughed and after we got our plates, we walked past a few guys. Wait, they were Treach from Naughty by Nature and Rakim from Eric B. & Rakim. Thirsty asses, besides what would Dalvin say if they were trying to get on Pam?

Treach: Damn, ya'll ladies need some help?

Me: We're good.

Rakim: We just wanna talk to ya'll. What's up?

Pamela: Our appetites.

Treach: Ya'll single, right?

Then a male voice came out of nowhere.

DeVante: Aye Treach, they said they're good. Leave 'em be, man. Step off, Rakim.

 Typical DeVante, always trying to be Mr. Good Guy. They apologized and we sat down to eat.

DeVante: Damn, no thank you?

Pamela: Thanks, DeVante.

I took a sip of soda and shrugged my shoulders.

Me: Whatever.

Pamela nudged me, and I kept on eating. I wasn't down to hear anything, I just wanted to eat! Pam got up and left me and DeVante alone.

Me: I'm hungry, let me eat.

DeVante: You still mad at me for that? I said I was sorry. I said that shit in anger and you know it!

Me: And that makes it okay!?

DeVante: No. I'm really sorry. I never meant to come at you like that. You gotta know that this came out from someplace good. I felt like I was here to protect you, be there for you and your little one. I know you.

Me: You don't know nothin' about me!

DeVante: I know you. I know that you're mad at me, but I know deep down you still care.

Damn it, why is he right!? He had his hand on my shoulder, rubbing it and I sighed.I took a piece of cake and held it to my lips.

DeVante: You just gon' eat while I'm baring my soul out to you!?

I laughed and shoved the cake in his face. I kissed his forehead.

Me: Nope! You should learn to control your sweet tooth.

He grabbed a napkin and wiped his face. I pulled him into a hug. I have to say, it felt good to touch him again. CLOTHES ON, of course. I felt his hand go up my back and shivers came. Life is short; I have to accept what I can't change, give people a chance, smile everyday, and apologize when I should. I think that DeVante is sincere in this approach. Should I give him a chance?