Chapter Five: From Time

DENISE POV

So, I've managed to keep a cool face about sleeping with DeVante, but Pamela, the secretary for Uptown Records knows something is up. She and I have become super close and it's hard to keep things from her.

Pamela: You wanna tell me what's going on with you?

Me: What do you mean?

Pamela: I see the way you and DeVante look at each other. Denise, I'm your friend....tell me what's up.

Me: We're just friends, is all. We do have to work together so we gotta keep a rappoire going for the business.

Pamela: You didn't go out with him, did you?

I fell silent.

Pamela: You did? Okay then, no biggie. I mean, as long as you didn't sleep with him....everything's all good.

I hung my head in shame, nodding innocently.

Pamela (whispering): You slut! Haha, I knew it! How was it!?

Me: That's for me to know and for you to NEVER find out.

Pamela: The first night, though? Denise, you 'spose to hold out. What happened?

Me: We were sober, that was the crazy part. Clear-thinking and all.

Pamela: It must be a hard thing....working with a guy and then having slept with him. Sooo, does this mean ya'll go out now?

Me: No. That's what we're trying to figure out. Like, we dig each other but this complicates things. We speak over the phone and he's really genuine and sweet, but everytime I see him, I think of that night all over again.

Pamela: Listen, just sit down and tell him everything you told me. How hard can it be?

I nodded my head and looked down at my watch and rushed off to meet the group for a quick meeting. I greeted everyone and sat next to Puffy and began writing down notes about the group's debut album, "Forever My Lady." When the meeting came to a close, I relayed all of Puffy's lecture and went over my notes.

Me: Forever My Lady is the debut album by Jodeci. Released May 28, 1991 on Uptown Records and distributed through MCA Records. The album reached number 18 on the Billboard 200 and has recieved positive reviews.

Puffy: This is why she is the best assistant in the world! Okay, we're done!

I nodded my head and wrote down some more notes before heading down the elevator. I ended up inside with Dalvin, and JoJo.

Me: Congrats guys. I know you guys are a bit bummed about not hitting the top 10, but you're well on your way. Believe me.

Dalvin: Thanks. You played a part too. Listen, are you going to our album party?

Me: Definitely!

Dalvin: That's what's up.

JoJo: Yeah, it wouldn't be right without the best assistant in the world.

I smiled and hugged them. I left the office and went shopping for a nice party dress with Pamela.

Me: What color should I wear?

Pamela: What color will DeVante like?

I laughed.

Me: C'mon Pam, this is serious.

Pamela: You'd look gorgeous wearing a sapphire dress with some cute high heels.

So we paid for our dresses and went to my place. Pamela put my hair in long wavy curls and I put her hair in a pretty bob.

Me: Ooh, Mr. Dalvin's sperm count is gonna go up just looking at you.

Pamela: I'm 29 years old with an 8-year-old son, he doesn't want my old ass.

Me: Hey hey, 30 is the new 20, they say. Have a little confidence, Pamela.

Pamela: Whatever girl, we are gonna look too fly.

Six hours later, we got dressed. Pamela had on a cute yellow jumpsuit with green heels, and I had on my short sapphire Lycra dress with black Tessa heels. We took some Polaroids and headed out to the party.

Me: Nervous?

Pamela: No. You?

Me: Hell yeah! I mean, every time I see DeVante.....I feel so, different.

Pamela: That's what happens to you Scorpios. Innocent on the outside, freaky on the inside.

I playfully punched her arm as the valet took my keys and we headed on inside. As we sat down at a table, "Come and Talk To Me" was playing. Pamela and I sat down and sipped on apple martinis. We were talking and talking until Heavy D came up to us.

Heavy: Ay! Damn Pam, you lookin hella fine tonight. Mr. Dalvin's sperm count is gonna go up when he sees you! You too Denise.

I laughed at her facial expression. It was the exact same thing I told her earlier.

Heavy put us on both sides of him and walked us over to where everyone else was. And sure enough, Dalvin was taken aback by Pam's sexy appearance.

Dalvin: Who is this sexy sista?

Me: Pamela Mandrake? The secretary who lets you guys in the office every morning?

Dalvin: Damn baby, you look good. I'm sorry I never took notice before, let's talk about this some more.

He took Pam's hand and they went off to talk. I went over to the bar and ordered a shot of Jack Daniel's and a Jamaican Rum Punch. I downed the shot so quickly I didn't even notice DeVante next to me.

DeVante: Hi, beautiful.

I looked at him and smiled.

Me: Uh, hi.

DeVante: You look great, baby.

Me: So do you, baby.

DeVante: How do you like the party?

Me: It's not about me, this is for ya'll. What do you think?

DeVante: It'd be good if I came with a date.

Me: You don't have a date?

DeVante: Nope....

I knew the success was bittersweet for DeVante. I mean, the other members were happy to have a record out, but for DeVante it went much deeper because he wrote the album about his now ex-girlfriend, Monica. I know that by us doing it, it wasn't his way of "feeling something" per se, but that it was a reminder that he wanted to do things right, not ass backwards. I took his hand and we went outside.

DeVante: Look, I don't want you getting confused about what we did.

Me: I'm not. I know we won't be together...

DeVante: I don't want to pretend like us making love never happened, but I just need you to know that what I feel for you is more than us just working together. I know it's been six months, but I want to take this to another level. What do you say?

I was in shock. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Did I hear him right? Was DeVante Swing asking me, Denise  Zurita to be his girlfriend?

Me: I can't.

Although crushed, he smiled and pulled me into a hug. I didn't say yes because 1) I don't know him that well, 2) I have a child that he's never met 3) I can't confused my baby by having this random guy around. Plus, Andre would have a fit because the rule is that you aren't supposed to have non-platonic relationships with people you work with. My father once told me to use good judgment....and I broke that rule!