Chapter Eight: "Just Let Me Know What's Up!"

DENISE POV

I took a week off of work after the whole Raheem situation, and spent it in private therapy. From now on, I will spend every Tuesday and Thursday at 5pm at the group sessions and go to therapy every other weekend. When I got back to work, I felt a sense of rejuvenation and hugged Pamela.

Me: Hey!

Pamela: Hey you! What's been up, baby?

Me: I had to take some time off. Personal stuff, you know.

Pamela: That's good, the guys have been worried about you.

I hugged her as we took the elevator. I went to press the 14th floor button, Pam moved it and pressed the 22nd button.

Me: What are you doing?

Pamela: You'll do it.

I walked out and followed Pamela to a nice-sized and newly furnished office. I saw Puffy and Andre and hugged them, holding my tears back.

Puffy: Hey, there's our new Creative Director of Uptown Records!

My eyes went wide and cried. I went inside the office and after signing the official paperwork, Puffy, Andre, Pam and I drove to Electric Lady Studios were Jodeci was working on their sophomore debut.

When we got there, I burst over with emotion and walked in happily.

Me: Hi boys!!!

With that, K-Ci, JoJo, Dalvin, and DeVante turned around and we had the biggest group hug.

K-Ci: Where ya been? We missed you!

JoJo: Andre don't what the hell he doin'!

Dalvin: We need ya back, baby girl!

Me: Well, I'm here now.

I looked over and DeVante, who had his back turned to me. Dalvin sensed that something wasn't right, and told everyone to go for a break.

Me: Aren't you glad to see me? I missed you guys a great deal. I know I missed out on some performances, but...I'm here now! I had to leave because---

He looked at me stone-faced and hurt. I didn't understand.

Me: I called you two days ago, why didn't you respond?

DeVante: Is there something on your mind, Denise?

Me: No...I--- I'm sorry DeVante, I have NO idea what you're talking about.

He looked at me and scoffed like I was some skeezer he just met.

DeVante: You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

I took a step back and hung my head low. I knew then that he knew about the rape.

Me: Who told you?

DeVante: Just let me know what's up.

Me: Listen to me, let me explain---

DeVante: I'm sorry for what happened to you, but that doesn't give you a reason not to tell me from the jump!

Me: Is this because of what happened the first night? If my memory serves me correctly, you wanted it just as much as I did!

DeVante: Yeah, because I was digging how honest and genuine you were with me! At least I thought you was!

Me: What was I supposed to do, wear a sign?

DeVante: I wouldn't have done it if you would have told me "I can't go out like that because I'm still dealing with some things. Nothing personal, but you know."

Me: YOU DON'T GET IT!!! I WAS RAPED! I HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT, NOT YOU! DON'T MAKE ME FEEL BAD ABOUT THIS! I'M SORRY I DIDN'T TELL YOU, I WAS ASHAMED!!!

DeVante: I understand, but I would have understood!

Me: NO, YOU WOULDN'T!!!

DeVante: No, but that little girl does.

Oh Hell no he didn't! It's one thing that I didn't tell him about what happened, but to use my child as a scapegoat, that's crossing the line. Here I was trying to build a trust and friendship with DeVante, and he goes below the belt and says some fucked up shit like that. I cried and DeVante tried consoling me, but I pulled away.

Me: Don't you dare touch me, DeVante!

DeVante: I didn't mean it, I'm sorry.

Me: Just, leave me alone!

I walked out of the booth and out of the building. Nobody is going to blame me for how my baby came into the world, as long as she is living, breathing, and smiling, I'm good. Anyone who doesn't agree with my choices can go to Hell!!!