[ Chapter 38 - To Meet Vandia Again ]

"Mr. Juarez, what are your thoughts on marrying my only daughter, Cana?"

"Sir, Pardon?" my eyes widened at Mr. Vandia, my employer. 

Tonight was the 62nd annual anniversary of the Vandia Corporation. I became a registered surgeon today and they had just announced it to everyone at the party. Right after I got off the stage, Mr. Juarez invited me to seat with him and his wife. 

I hadn't said a single word when Mr. Vandia suddenly asked that question. I was left stunned while the couple stared at me widely, most likely hoping for a positive answer. 

Five years passed and I was never able to forget Athena Calleen Vandia. I tried to date other women, I tried to drink her away, I tried to overwork myself but none of it helped in taking her off my head. As if that was not enough, now, I was being offered to marry her. 

When Mr. Vandia realized I was speechless, he spoke again, "We want you to take over the company someday and the best way for you to get that position quickly without getting too many questions from the workers and the media would be to marry my daughter." 

"I- Sir, the offer is too generous but is Miss Vandia willing to accept such a deal? She is a young woman, after all, she should have her freedom to choose who she wants to marry, right?" I asked. 

"Don't worry about her part, we have a deal and I know that she would stay true to that," Mr. Vandia smiled and I returned it, a little forced. 

"I shouldn't be hesitating sir but would it be alright if you could give me some time to think about it?" I asked. 

I was in no position to ask for such a favor, I knew everyone else had been trying to kiss Vandia's ass the past few years to get that position but none of them succeeded. Right now, I was being offered that slot when I haven't even done anything to earn it. I shouldn't even be hesitating. 

"Mr. Juarez, of course, it would be alright, we have decided to give you at least a year to decide, if you don't accept it, we would move down to the next candidate, Mr. Harold Stan," Mrs. Vandia smiled. I knew she was a very kind woman but right now I felt like there was a small threat in her voice. Maybe I came off sounding like I didn't like her daughter when I asked for time to think.

Oh, Mrs. Vandia, if only you know how much I used to love your daughter. 

Correction, how much I still love your daughter.

I always denied that I still had feelings for Vandia but I also knew deep inside that it will always be her. She never gets tired of running in my head, she was always my first thought in the morning and my last thought at night. Everything seemed to remind me of her. 

Still, if I was to decline this offer, Vandia was going to have a weird husband. Mr. Harold Stan was already in his forties, he looked wrinkly and old. I pictured Vandia and her in my mind which made me stifled a laugh.