Ch. 45 - Mates

Iris

I watched as Roselyn left to meet Logan. I knew what he had planned for her.

He begged me for 2 days to get me to tell him what her favorite food was. It annoyed the heck out of me. I finally told him just so he could stop asking me.

I didn't approve of him. I don't believe that he will change, not even for Roselyn, who has the purest heart. She will get hurt again and he will hurt her.

But it's not my place to say anything, even though Rose is like a sister to me. However, that doesn't mean I won't beat his ass when he does mess up again.

I thought about what Rose had told me before she left. I wasn't mad that she called me out on it, I could never be mad at her.

I was mad at myself. Here I have a second chance mate who just wants me to acknowledge his existence and her mate could care less about her.

What kind of person does that make me? Selfish. Ungrateful.

I turned my focus back to the man who was destined to be with me. I had never been this close to standing next to him before.

Even when training, he kept a distance. I didn't need his help with training, I was already trained since I was little. My father made me train with the other warrior wolves since I was 5.

He wasn't even my father. He was more of a sperm donor, same with my mother, birth giver. They didn't care about me, they were glad they had 2 sons after I was born. My brothers were the prizes in their eyes.

My mother wasn't always bad though, she could be really sweet. But when Rose's mom died, she grew really sad, they had been best friends like Rose and I.

I believed that Queen Eleanor's death changed her, my father who was always cruel changed her too. He would abuse her secretly, cheat on her with whores until my mother became as cruel as him.

My brothers, thank god, fell far from that tree. Mason is 14 and he loves to paint. Carson is 11 and could care less about being royal.

When I was banished they cried and begged me to take them with me, but I knew they were safer if they stayed. Leaving my brothers was the hardest, I love those little goofs.

"I'm James."

I shook my head snapping out of my gaze. "What?"

"Oh, I said, I'm James." He said nervously sticking his hand out.

I didn't want to take it but I knew it was the right thing to do.

"Iris." I replied shaking his hand out.

Right then sparks shot out. They surged through my body tingling just as strong as if he were my first mate which he is not.

I quickly pulled my hand back tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

My mate... er James looked hurt as I pulled away quick. I looked up in his eyes and studied him.

Before I had done everything to avoid him but after our handshake I desperately wanted to clearly look at him.

His eyes were a beautiful mix of brown and dark green in the middle. He had a sharp jaw line with nice lips and his dark hair style back.

He was handsome I will admit that. I was also grateful that he looked nothing like Ian. I think if they had looked similar it would hurt me even more than looking at him was now.