Ch. 57 - Dexter's Story

Roselyn

I sat stunned on the cold pavement still in my chains but the pain feeling seemed to be numbed for the moment.

Dexter was standing again. He had his back turned to me while he looked toward the wall. I looked where he was looking and saw he had something crumpled in his hand.

He was my uncle? I was related to the King of Rogues? And my mate was the Blood Alpha. And I was the princess of werewolves.

Never expected my life to get this interesting. I don't think the word interesting is the correct word for this situation. More like crazy or insane. This whole story about my families past was just getting more and more confusing.

"How are you my uncle?" I asked him.

"I would assume you know about how I was born, child. It's the basic way of life." He almost laughed.

"I-I know. It's just..." I stuttered fumbling my hands. "I never saw you in any pictures. I didn't know you existed."

Dexter tilted his a head a little to me. "My father made sure my banishment was permanently erased."

I had met King Arias and Queen Beatrice once when I was a baby.Grandpa Arias died peacefully in his sleep and grandma Beatrice had followed shortly after. I think I was about 6 months old when they passed, so I don't really remember anything about them.

"I'm sorry." I said to my new, yet old uncle?

This time Dexter did laugh. "Sorry? Why should you be sorry?"

I didn't know why I said I was sorry. I remained quiet as he opened his fist examining whatever he had in his hand.

"I'm going to tell you my story, child." He sighed looking up from his hand. "You will listen and not speak or I will kill you."

My mouth closed immediately. I shifted my chains and my body getting somewhat comfortable to notify him that I would do as he said.

Dexter began his story turning around. "I was born 2 years before your father. I was the rightful heir to the throne but I was 22 and still mateless. I overheard rumors that my father was to give my birthright to Charles unless I found my mate by my our birthday. I was furious with his plan, I was also ruthless and impatient, ordering every she wolf to the castle to see if they were my mate."

"Until our birthday rolled around and I met your mother that night." He locked his jaw clutching his hand again.

I looked closer at his hand and it looked like a small photograph he was holding.

"Eleanor was my mate! She was mine." He growled. "And yet your father stole her from me."

I wanted to speak up but I kept my mouth shut. Instead I just bit my lip not saying a peep.

"I was happy I found your mother but I soon learned that she was cheating and betraying me. Every time I left her alone for my duties, every male would hit on her. So I locked her in the tower, all day for everyday until I was king and could order her to never leave my side. Charles was the only person who I would let visit, I figured I could trust my own flesh and blood."

I scooted nervously to the other side of his green sword as he picked it up. I watched him evilly admire it but in a way where it was like he was in a trance. He ran his fingers down the edge of the blade chuckling to himself.