Chapter 40: Best Partners

a/n: read my new story called 'love me' 

"So there's no way I can see Jellal?" I ask one of the weird frog people that roam around the council. They shake their heads, "He's a criminal. One of the most dangerous." The frog person says. 

"Could you," I pull out an envelope from my bag, "...give him this at least?" I ask. They stare at it before snatching it from my hands. I was tempted to just kick them out the way and run to see him myself. I sigh before turning around and making my way to the guild. Today they were going to announce the 8 that will participate in the S Class Trials. 

-

When I went to the guild, I pushed past the crowd of members and made my way up to the stage and behind the curtains. "Where were you? I saw you leave Fairy Hills." Erza asks. 

"Had to run an errand." I tell her. The curtains then rise. Master clears his through before speaking, "As per Fairy Tail's time-honored tradition, I will not announce the entrants for the S-Class Wizard Promotion Trial!" The crowd booms into cheers. 

"Quiet, ,everyone!" Erza orders and all shut up. 

"Our master hasn't finished yet." Gildarts tells them. 

"This year's trial will take place on Tenrou Island... our guild's holy ground!" Master announces. 

"Ohhhh!" The crowd says in amazement. 

"Your strength! Your hearts! Your spirits! I've spent the last year ascertaining them all. There will be eight participants! Natsu Dragneel! Gray Fullbuster! Juvia Lockser! Elfman Strauss! Cana Alberona! Freed Justine! Levy McGarden! Mest Gryder!" Master lists. He continues, "From this group, only one person will successfully pass! The trials will take place in one week's time. Shape up in the meantime!"

"As we have some newcomers here," I'm referring to Lucy, Wendy, Carla, Lily, Gajeel, and Juvia, "We'll go over the rules. The eight chosen participants are to select a single partner within the one week preparation period. They are two rules when it comes to choosing a partner. They must be a member of Fairy Tail and second, the partner can't be an S-Class wizard."

"We'll announce the details of the trail once we're on Tenrou Island, but Erza will be serving as a hindrance again this time." Master reveals and all gasp.

"I'll be hindering everyone as well!" Mira announces and more gasps. 

"All S-Class wizards have had to go through this." Gildarts tells everyone. 

"Does that mean you two are participating too?!" Natsu squeals like a little girl. 

"The eight selected members and their partners will gather at Hargeon Port one week from now. That is all!"

-

I sit at a table with Wendy, Juvia, Gray, Natsu, Happy, Lisanna, Elfman, Wendy, and Carla. "The bar's set crazy high this year." Gray comments regarding the S-Class trials. 

"I'm surprised this is the first time for all of you! How many tries did it take you?" Lucy asks me. 

"One." I say. 

"Huh?! Who was your partner?" Lucy asks me. 

"Erza. I became S-Class right after Laxus. The next year, Erza became S-Class." I answer. 

"I'm all fired up! S-Class rank, here I come!" Natsu shouts. 

"The road to S-Class status is long one for manly Elfman!"

"So have you guys picked your partners?" Lucy asks. 

"I'm going with Happy of course!" Natsu grins. 

"That's not fair! If the trial ends up being a race, there's no way to beat someone who can fly!" Elfman expresses concern. 

"I'm cool with it. Plus, it'll be a big handicap if the trial's a battle." Gray tells Elfman, who ends up changing his mind.

Happy pumps his tiny fist in the air, "I will make Natsu an S-Class Wizard!" The two then take off to train. "I can't believe in the two years I was gone Natsu has gotten strong enough to participate in the trials." Lisanna says. 

"Uh... is it possible for Juvia to withdraw from the trials?" Juvia asks me. 

"Why?" I ask. 

"She'd... rather be... his partner..." She says quietly, but I manage to hear her. 

"Really? You're gonna give up the chance to become S-Class for some boy?" I ask her. She says nothing. 

"I've already chosen my partner." Gray says as Loke walks over to our table. "Long time, no see, everyone!" Loke greets us. "Hold on a minute!" Lucy yells and we're all confused. 

"We agreed to this last year." Gray tells us. 

"Sorry, Lucy, but our contract is on hold for the duration of the trial. Don't worry. I used my own magic power to come through the gate. So you won't run out of power because of me." Loke tells Lucy as she's freaking out. 

"So what do you think? Think we stand a chance at becoming S-Class?" Gray asks me. 

"I think you're all equal. Even with Natsu choosing Happy, I think you all stand an equal chance." 

"Is he still eligible to participate?" Elfman asks me regarding Loke. Loke pulls down his short and reveals he still has his Fairy Tail emblem on his back. "He's still a Fairy Tail wizard." I answer. 

"On the pride of the guild, I will make Gray an S-Class wizard." Loke declares. 

"I'll team up with you, Juvia!" Lisanna tells Juvia. 

"Are you serious, Lisanna?!" Elfman asks her. 

Lisanna nods and does a thumbs up, "I was actually good friends with Juvia in Edolas! Plus this Juvia is kind of cute!" Lisanna makes her way over to Juvia. "So what do you say?" 

"Don't tell me she's after my dear Gray too..." Juvia says quietly. I sweatdropped. "Hold on, Lisanna! That leaves me without a partner!" Elfman cries. 

"Really? Someone's been giving you an intense look for a while now." I say to give and look at Evergreen. He looks over at her. "She seems miffed that Freed chose Bixlow as his partner." 

"Her stare is less intense and more like petrifying." Elfman shudders. 

-

I walk over to Natsu as I see him seated out of his house in the snow, looking down at the city. "Thinking about something?" I say and it causes him to jump. I say a seat in the snow beside him and place down my basket of muffins beside me. "Yeah. I've trained my whole life for this. For the time that I'll be chosen for the trials." He tells me. 

I grab a muffin and hand one time him and grab one for myself. "Don't think too hard about it, just do it. Become S-class." I advise. He smiles at me and looks forward. I place my head on his shoulder and we sit there in the snow. Complete silence.