Chapter 41: Who's the Lucky One?

a/n: i honestly think if the whole acnologia situation didn't happen, freed and bickslow would've won the whole thing, no doubt. i mean, gray and natsu are the same strength and bickslow beat gray. then there's freed, who managed to last quite a while with mira. but all this is just my opinion. who do you think would've won? ps. freed is a total babe.

"Thinking about something?" Gildarts asks me as him and I were sitting in our route, waiting for someone to come. I nod, "Just thinking about who could become the next S-Class." 

-

"Eight routes. Each route can only be taken by one team. And, along each route are combat, serenity, intense combat, and extreme combat," Master explains and a map appears out of nowhere. The eight contestants freak when they see that one of the routes was a tag battle with Gildarts and Y/n, the two most powerful wizards in Fairy Tail. 

"How are we supposed to beat them?!" Gray exclaims. 

Master continues, "Only the teams that get through here will pass the first round of the trial! On Combat routes, two teams will run into each other and fight it out. Only the winning team can move on. Intense Combat routes are one of the most difficult of all, as they require defeating a current S-Class wizard. Extreme Combat speaks for itself. You must defeat two of our strongest S-Class. On the Serenity route, you'll get to pass the first round without fighting anyone. The point of the first round is "might"...and "luck"!"

"There's no getting through the routes with Erza and Mira! Especially with Gildarts and Y/n teaming up!" Elfman shouts. 

"Now! Get started! Let the trial begin!"

-

Gildarts and I waited for a while for someone to choose our route. Route E. "Erza! Come out already!" We hear someone yell from inside the cave. Gildarts chuckles and grins at me, "You know who that is, right? Fight me!" I nod. We stand up and walk down the cave to meet up with our match. 

Natsu Dragneel and Happy. 

"Gildarts!" Natsu yells in surprise as he sees us. 
"Y/N!" Happys yells next. 

"Well aren't you so lucky to run into us." I wink. 

"Yo, Natsu." Gildarts greets. "Seems luck wasn't on your side." 

"We're done for." Happy cries. 

Gildarts and I walk forward. "I've never been fond of cutting corners in my work, you see... You can handle the cat, Y/n." Gildarts says. We stop when we see Natsu's body covered in flames. 

"Now I'm fired up!" Natsu growls. I then notice Happy in the back dragging Natsu's things. We all notice it. "Happy, what are you doing?" Natsu asks. 

"Getting ready to go home." Happy answers. I walk over to Happy and scoop him in my arms. 

"No need for that. I don't care who I'm up against; I'm gonna kick some serious butt." Natsu cracks his knuckles. His fist then cover with fire, "Here I come! I'm gonna show you how much stronger I've gotten these past three years, Gildarts!" 

Gildarts puts his hand up in a stop motion, "Hold on, will you?" Natsu starts running at Gildarts. "Calm down, Natsu. I'm not quite ready yet..." Natsu didn't listen and kept running. Natsu swung his fist and collided with the hand Gildarts had out. A huge explosion was created. Natsu was taken aback to see no damage. While Gildarts had Natsu, Gildarts released a huge ray of light on him. 

And when the smoke cleared, Natsu was gone. 

"Jeez, don't you hold back?" I ask Gildarts as I see a crater in the place where Natsu was once standing.