Chapter 22: Recovery?

Picture: Alexia Moore

Normal POV

"She's...immune..." Ian repeated again, holding Ashley close to him.

"Are you serious?" Felix questioned, concentrating on the road.

"Yeah...That's what the reading said.." Ian panted, he was still out of breath.

Ashley continued to hold onto Ian, she didn't want to let go, she was still shaking in fear and in so much pain, she felt calmer in Ian's arms for some reason, it was like he knew exactly what to do to stop her from becoming tense. She looked up at Ian's amazing blue eyes, in worry.

"H-How am I immune?" Ashley stammered in confusion, looking at her bite on her arm.

"I don't know....but I couldn't let them take you...They would've tried to kill you for the cure.." Ian sighed, he then muttered silently, "I can't lose you....you're like a sister to me.."

Felix continued driving on the rocky, bumpy road. The car was running low on gas, it was only a matter of time before they were running on fumes. They were still driving through the forest, although an opening could be seen far off in the distance, like a light shining through a tunnel. Cracks of sunlight were glimmering onto the dry, tree's leaves, making them turn to an almost brown colour.

"How much gas is left?" Anthony asked, we could all hear the very small amount of gas, moving around in its tank.

"Next to none.." Felix sighed, "We need to find a gas station, quickly, since I don't know how much longer this car can take..." He gripped onto the steering wheel tightly, turning right to reveal a opening to get out of the forest.

"Hopefully, we can find some first aid stuff in there too, maybe some painkillers.." Ian spoke quietly, looking down to see Ashley lying her head on his chest, fast asleep. He could feel her heart beating slightly faster than usual, she looked very... peaceful.

"Yeah, we're running low on supplies already, we seem to be okay on ammunition, but food and first aid is a completely different story..." Mark huffed, looking out the window.

"There's a gas station, just there!" Marzia pointed into the distance, the building looked kind of rickety, quite fragile. It looked like it would collapse instantly. But, who knows?

******************************

Felix's POV

Ashley was still asleep in Ian's arms, he really cared about her. As I drove closer and closer to the gas station, we were slowly but surely coming out of the forest. Now we were out in the open, surprisingly there weren't that many walkers about, we pulled up in front of the gas station, Ashley awoke to the slight jolt of the car coming to a stop, we exited the car.

"Are you okay to walk now?" Ian asked, still holding Ashley.

"Y-Yeah..I'll be alright." Ashley mumbled, Ian gently putting her down.

I opened the door very cautiously, checking for any walkers that were to pop up out of nowhere.

"It's clear guys, just keep your weapons close okay?" I informed everyone, the door creaking and scraping along the floor as I pushed it.

We all carefully walked inside, just the light from the windows making it seem less dimer than it would be. The shelves had next to nothing on them, barely enough to feed 10 people; although the shelves were completely full of medical supplies, even behind the counter.

"S-Should I get them?" Ashley whispered, looking across at the cupboard behind the counter.

"No." Ian replied instantly, "You nearly got hurt last time, and your already injured.."