Promises

"Class, I want you to pair up with someone today for a little activity we are going to do." Marcus looked up and whined. Everyone scattered and paired up with someone. Marcus sat by himself, looking down at the activity.

"Marcus, I got someone who can pair up with you. Alistair come here please." He looked up and seen a boy with an abundance of freckles on his skin and black hair. The boy hid behind the teacher and looked away.

"How about you both work together? You would seem perfect." The teacher asked. Marcus groaned.

"I dont need anyone. I can do this by myself!" Marcus yelled.

"Well, how about you help Alistair then." She said. She walked away leaving Marcus and the other boy alone. The boy scuffed the ground and didn't move his eyes from it. Marcus rolled his eyes.

"If you are at least going to be next to me, you can sit down." Marcus said, working on the activity. The boy sat down next to him, quietly. He would peak over Marcus's shoulder and seen him working hard on it.

"That's not the answer." Marcus raised his head at the boy. Marcus scoffed.

"What do you know?" He smarted off. The boy grabbed the pencil and started to solve the problem.

"I finished this earlier. It wasn't hard." He said, taking the paper from Marcus and finishing it for him. Marcus looked at the boy and pouted.

"You're weird." Marcus said. The boy was taken back by the words and looked hurt. Marcus laughed.

"I like weird. I can't really say your name though, Alstar." Marcus said. The boy laughed at him and it was Marcus's turn to be taken back.

"You can call me Ro or Ronan. My middle name is easier to say." The boy said. Marcus smiled at the boy.

"You can sit here from now on if you want. Wanna be friends?" Marcus said, holding out his hand. Ronan looked at Marcus and then his hand.

"Why do you want to be friends with me? No one wants to be around me anyway. It might be best if you stay way too." Ronan said with sadness in his eyes. Marcus got up and wrapped his arm around Ronan's neck.

"Why do you care? Let 'em talk. Come on!" Marcus said, laughing. Ronan looked at him and laughed as well.

The bell rang for recess and Marcus was playing on the swings. Out of the corner of his eye, he seen Ronan getting picked on. He stopped swinging and watched. Freya pulled on Marcus.

"Come on. He can take care of himself." She said. Marcus started to walk away until he heard a groan. He looked back and saw Ronan on the ground. He stormed off towards him and got in between him and the kids.

"Leave him alone." Marcus said. The kid laughs.

"He deserves it Marcus. All he does is read and sits by himself." The kid said. Marcus growled.

"He wants to be left alone. If he wants to do that, let him. Don't touch him again or I will beat you up." Marcus threatened. Ronan looked at Marcus and slightly blushed.

"Awe looks like Marcus has a crush on the boy. Do you love him or something?" The kid teased. Marcus scoffed.

"I just don't like people like you who pick on others." Marcus said, getting in the kids face. Ronan got off the ground and pulled Marcus.

"I'm fine. Let's just go." Ronan said quietly. The kid grabbed Ronan by his and pulled him to the ground. Marcus got on top of the other kid, punching his face.