Return

"Asmund please leave."
"Why? Please tell me; why you have asked for a different guard to watch over you? Are you unpleased with my work?"
"No."
"Have I offended you in any way?"
"No-"
"Angered you-upset you-let harm come your way?"
"No. no, no!" I sat down on my bed, motioning for him to do the same.
"What have I done wrong?" he asked softly, sitting beside me.
I smiled at him and shook my head.
"Absolutely nothing. Asmund you have been my friend and protector, caring for me during my time of need. I am truly grateful for your service but I am afraid that my feelings for you have evolved from a simple friendship into something much more and as a wife I cannot allow myself the temptation of having you near."
Asmund stared at me sadly. "Lina, I want to be by your side. I want to protect you, be with you."
"I am married to Loki, and it would be wrong-"
"Wrong? Lina, he abandoned you."
My heart dropped. I fell silent. He was right, Loki had left me, but regardless I had made a pact. An unbreakable bond.
"My relationship with my husband is complicated enough. No matter how Loki acts, it does not justify my betrayal. "
"Betrayal?" asked a voice from the other side of the room.
My whole body jumped at his voice.
"Loki?" I asked in disbelief.
"Hello darling." he grinned at me as if he had only been away for a handful of minutes. He stood there, handsome as ever. His arms wide open, ready to engulf me in a hug.
Asmund rose, standing in front of me protectively. He took out his sword, staring down at Loki. I had never noticed how much taller he was.
"Loki son of Odin, do not take a step closer. You are wanted for your acts of treason by King Odin himself."
Loki crossed his arm, his eyebrow raised. "Is that so?"
Asmund stood firm.
I grew anxious and called out; "Asmund please lower your weapon."
"If I were you I would do as she says, little boy."
"No, she is not safe near the likes of you."
Loki scoffed "I am her husband. Now step aside."
Loki stepped forward, but Asmund blocked him from me.
"No."
"Move aside."
"Go turn yourself in first."
"How dare you order me around? I am a prince and you a lowly peasant." hissed Loki.
Asmund and Loki were ready to destroy each other. I could feel the energy of Loki's magic vibrating off of him.
"Enough!" I yelled, stepping between both men.
"Lina, you are not safe near him," argued Asmund
"Oh please do be silent you insolent little roach." snapped Loki.
"Stop! Both of you! I have had enough of you aggravating insolence. Asmund, make sure the doors to my room are closed."
"Lina-"
"Now. Do not allow anyone inside."
Reluctantly Asmund left towards the door, sneering at Loki.
I turned to face my husband.
"Missed me?" he asked joyfully.
"Where have you been?" I managed to say. My throat felt dry, I did not know what to say to him.
"That matters not, what matters is that I have returned."
"Matters not? Loki have you any idea what I have gone through since your disappearance?"
"Do you have any idea what I went through?" he growled
"We are married, your choices do not affect you alone anymore. They affect me too. Your brilliant planned failed so you simply left me behind to face your family's and the kingdoms judgement on my own. And now you appear, acting as if nothing had happened."
"Lina." he placed his hand on my cheek. "I returned for you, my queen."