Trust

It had only been a few days since Lina had told Loki she wasn't sure she could continue forgiving him. She had told him she still wanted him in Leif's life, but a romantic future for the two of them was uncertain at best. Loki had spent every waking moment trying to prove himself since. Spending his days playing with their son, bringing her small, well thought out gifts, even appointing her as his personal advisor. Still, when he reached for her he was met with hesitation. What else could he possibly do to prove his devotion? Sure Loki had failed and mistreated her in the past, but it wasn't all his fault. Loki had been overwhelmed with foolish insecurities and that damned tesseract. With his father safely stored on Midgard and his brother MIA, Loki felt he could finally get his shit together. Was he still actively lying to Asgardians and did he have a few statues of himself made-sure but hey, nobody is perfect. Loki moved quickly, wanting to see Lina soon, as well as being tired of posing as Odin all day. Loki nervously fiddled with a small silver pendant as he made his way to Lina's room. The pendant was shaped into a cherry blossom, Lina's favorite. He came to a stop and knocked three times on the door. His heart skipping a beat as when his eyes landed on Lina. She opened the door, offering a small smile. In her golden robes, she appeared to glow.

"Come in," she whispered. Loki quickly complied, closing the heavy door behind him. With a quick flash of green, he stood before her as Loki instead of Odin. Lina stood awkwardly at the center of the room, Leif quietly sleeping in his crib. Loki took a large step towards her, presenting his gift. Lina tentatively took it, a smile growing on her lips.

"Cherry blossoms."

"Your favorite."

"Thank you, Loki." She placed the pendant on her dresser and sat at the edge of her bed. Loki slowly followed her, "Leif fell asleep but I'm sure he'll be up in a few hours if you'd like to stay or come back."

"I wish to stay if that is alright with you."

Lina nodded stiffly, "Yes, of course. There is something I wish to discuss with you while we wait."

Loki shifted his weight, nodding, "I am all ears, darling."

"I want to break our bond."

"Excuse me?"

"I know you claimed it was unbreakable, but I know you better now. I know you. There must be a way to break our bond."

Loki stood, his heart racing. "Why would you want to break our bond?"

Lina remained seated, her eyes focused on him, "Because you do not trust me. When we married I was desperate for you to love me-"

"I do love you! Have I not been proving myself?"

"Yes. You bring me presents and you play with our son. But do you forget why you were absent while I carried our child inside me? Do you not recall every time you have betrayed my trust and taken advantage of my love, Loki?"

"As much as I'd like to, I cannot change the past Lina," he responded coldly,

"And I am not asking you to. In order for us to move forward, there must be trust. You must trust that I will stay, not because of magic, but out of love and devotion. And I must feel free to leave if I must."

"Leave? That's what this is about, isn't it? I will not-"

Lina stood, placing her hands upon his cheeks, their faces only inches apart, "Stop. I do not want to leave. But I cannot stay knowing, that I do not have the option. You have been so lovely these past few days. I know you are capable of being this Loki, my Loki. But you must trust me, as I must trust you. This cannot be onesided, my love."

Tears began well up in Loki's eyes, he wrapped his arms around her.

"You will leave me, I already know. You will love another and I will be alone," he croaked.

"No, if you love me as you say you do...you know this is not true. What could ever lead you to this conclusion?"

"You wanted to leave me, once. Before, you were so angry with me, and you began to feel for another."

His face rested on her shoulder, tears soaking her gown.

"Asmund," she said, almost to herself.

"Stupid guard." He grumbled.

Lina gently brushed his hair with her fingers, "I remember being so incredibly upset with you. Asmund was kind, he was caring. The first time I thought of kissing him I fell ill. I hadn't realized it was the bond until your mother explained."

Lina pulled away just enough to plant a soft kiss upon his lips. It was the first time they had kissed in what seemed an eternity. they stood in a silent embrace until Loki finally spoke, "It will not be easy, but it can be broken."