Chapter 4: Good As Hell.

[ You know you a star, you can touch the sky ]

---

      After a week, I'm almost completely finished unpacking. I've gotten the rest of my furniture from Sam Levitz and gone shopping the day the U-Haul truck came. I've unpacked the kitchen and my bedroom. Only needing to finish the living room and the extra room, that I've turned into a work area.

      Tomorrow is the first day of work and it's making my nerves go haywire. I've never been more nervous, aside from my first grade recital, but that's a story for a different time. Gramma has been calling every morning and night. She and Tia Val have helped me with changing my plate and license, like they promised they would. 

      I've been tossing and turning for almost an hour due to the nerves of tomorrow. What if they don't like me? What if they regret hiring me? I should listen to music... That usually helps. 

---

      It's now the next morning. I've just arrived to the agency after a 15 minute drive and a stop at Starbucks for a coffee. I get out of my car and straighten out my white shirt and black pants. I fold the sleeves of my coat. Was this too much? Nah. I make sure my black flats aren't dirty and open the back door, grabbing my bag with my coffee. 

      I lock the car and make my way to the entrance of the building feeling my heart beat out of my chest

      I lock the car and make my way to the entrance of the building feeling my heart beat out of my chest. I grab my phone and open the email my new boss sent me and follow the directions he sent me. I make it to the elevator and tap my foot anxiously while biting on my bottom lip as the elevator takes me to the floor I'll be working at. 

      The doors slide open and I tightly grab the strap of my bag, walking to the reception desk. A girl, probably a bit older than me, sat there filing her nails. "Hi, I'm Em-" 

      "You're Emily Marquez. I've heard. I'm Kelly." The girl smiles. She nods after examining me for a little and stands from her seat. Was there something wrong? "Mr. King is expecting you. Follow me," I follow her down the long hallway until we eventually stop at the end. "Here he is. I'll always be at the front desk if you need anything. Welcome to the team." 

      I smile, "Thank you."

      She walks away, her heels clicking with every step. Should I have worn heels? I shake away my doubts and considerations of turning around and going home and am brought back to reality when I knock lightly on the door.  I open the door when I hear a faint "Come in." A man that doesn't look much older than me is sat behind a mahogany desk with photos spread across his desk. He's masculine under the tuxedo he's wearing. Now I'm considering if I should've worn something fancier. "Ah, there's my new worker! Come in, take a seat!" He smiles motioning to the seats in front of his desk. I sit and bring my bag onto my lap, tossing the empty coffee cup in the bin before I came in. "So, how LA treating ya?" 

      "It's been stressful. But other than that, it's a lovely city." He nods intertwining his hands. 

      "It is... Great beach days." I nod, agreeing with him. 

      "You have your first client today, clients I should say." He says making my heart beat faster. "Just a regular photo shoot. We are known for taking celebrity photos and you are having a band today." He says. "One Direction. Heard of 'em?" 

      I nod, "Weren't they broken up?" 

      "They were, these photos, I was told, were for a reunion tour. So, it shouldn't be hard." I nod, shifting uncomfortably. 

      "Emily, you will be fine. I've seen your work and they are amazing." 

      I really hope he's right. I've done photography on people, but knowing that I'm about to do a photoshoot on an international famous band, it's a lot of pressure being put onto my shoulders. Who's to say that I'll mess up? Or worse, they're those snobby celebrities? 

      "Okay then, I will show you to your studio." He stands and I follow his actions. He opens the door, letting me walk out first. We walk down the hallway and pass the reception desk to the other side where there's a long hallway full of studios. "Everything you need is already in there already. There's lighting, lenses, everything. There's a small office for you to keep your things." He opens a door with a huge open space with a screen and lighting. "Here it is. We are all family here, so feel free to talk to me or any of the other staff. If you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to ask." 

      I nod, "I will." 

      He looks down at me and smiles, "Great." He hands me a key. "Here is your key. Your clients will be here at noon, so get set up and I will leave you to it." 

      "Thank you." I smile. He nods with a smile and walks out of the studio closing the door behind him. 

      I go into the small office and set down my bag. I take out my camera and my phone. I check the time and feel my heart beat rapidly again. 11:45. I quickly set up my camera and put in a new SD card. I go out and fix the lights and check out the lenses. From the office, I hear the phone begin to ring. I go in the office and let my camera hang from my neck. I bring the phone up to my ear, "Um... Hello?" Dammit, why am I so awkward? 

      "Hey Emily, it's Kelly. Listen, your clients are here. Should I bring them in now, or do you need a minute?" 

      "Um..." I look around the studio. I think I'm ready. "Yeah, go ahead and bring them." 

      "Alright, we'll be by in a minute." 

      "Okay, thanks." 

      I walk out of the office and let out a short breath and slightly jump when there's a knock. Kelly pokes her head in, "You ready?"

      I nod, "Yeah." Well, here goes nothing.

------

[ Good As Hell - Lizzo ]

------

A/N:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE THEY'RE HERE!!!!!!   

Vote, Comment, Share

TPWK.

All the love, C. xx