Chapter 37: Two Of Us.

[So I will keep you day and night,
here until the day I die, 
I'll be living one life for the two of us]

      It's been a couple days. It's the memorial for Gramma. I stood in front of the mirror and stared at the black dress that hugged my body. The black cardigan due to the rain pattering against the windows. The black tights underneath the dress and covered my feet. And the black converse since I refused to wear heels or flats in this weather. I made the last touches on my hair, a simple braid with a couple strands that I've curled. I looked down to the ring on my middle finger and wished that Niall would be there. I didn't put much makeup on. Just a bit of waterproof mascara and lip balm. 

      Grampa drove silently to the small church a few blocks away. I let a tear fall from my eye and felt Grampa's hand hold mine. "She's in a better place now." He says quietly. 

      "The better place is here... With us." I sniffle. He parks on the curb and we both get out of the car. I hug his arm as we walk to the church and inside. We sit in the front beside Tia Valerie, Allie, Deidre and her parents. Uncle Mario comes in with Jose following him and sit on the other side of Grampa. While we wait, they open Gramma's coffin allowing people to go up and see her. 

      I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn my head in the direction of Uncle Mario. "You should go up first." He says quietly. I nod and take a breath before standing up. I feel eyes on me as I slowly walk to the casket that Gramma laid in. I let more tears fall and a quiet sob as I see her. Her wrinkled skin is pale and they've dressed her in her favorite blouse. She wears her favorite pair of earrings and she's holding a single rose. I softly run my hand over her cheek. I get no reaction back. I sniffle and feel Deidre's hands hold my shoulders. She walks me back to the seats and sits us down. I lay my head on Grampa's shoulder and silently cry. 

      Seeing her in there made reality slap me in the face. She's really gone. Cancer took her from us. I receive sympathetic smiles from more people as they go up to see her. 

      As the funeral goes on, I tightly hold the paper with my speech in my hand. My tears staining the paper. I look up and see one of Gramma's coworkers at the podium. "I looked up to Ida. She always knew her way around things and treated us more like family than just coworkers." She says. I smile lightly. She always did that. She never treated people by their title. When it was my turn, I let out a shaky breath as Deidre squeezes my hand in reassurance. 

      "Now, her granddaughter, Emily." The priest says. I stand up and walk to the podium. I unfold the paper and finally look up. 

      There they were. There in the back row sitting quietly in black clothing. They all meet my eye and slightly smile with a little wave. Niall's eyes calm the anxiety that was starting to build up from standing in front of lots of people. I clear my throat with a sniffle and began reading my speech. 

      "My Gramma was and always will be my favorite person." I say. "She's my best friend. She was there to wipe my tears whenever I lost a soccer game or when my heart was broken for the first time. She taught me how to make her famous tortillas and famous dishes... She was also the one who pushed me to follow my dreams. Now, all thanks to her, I'm a photographer traveling the world and learning so many things that I never knew about the real world because I was too scared to learn." A tear falls as I look up quickly. "When I heard about what happened, I tried so hard to be there for her. I took breaks from work to come home, and tried calling her every day." My lip quivers as I continue. "She's always going to be apart of my life, no matter what. She's always going to be there to cheer me on and push me to keep going. Gramma, I love you so much and miss you. I promise to keep my end of the promise if you do." I nod and hear a couple people sigh in sympathy. 

      After the funeral, I walked outside where the boys stood nodding to the people who looked at them. When they spotted me, they slightly smiled. I smiled, but couldn't hold it in any longer. I hugged Niall and the rest hugged us. They let me cry and comforted me. "It'll be okay." I hear Niall whisper. I nod and release from them. 

      "How are you guys here?" I asked wiping away my tears. 

      "When Niall told James what happened, we called Yomara and asked her to fill us in." Harry explains. 

      "When she told us what happened, we got James to cancel a couple shows." Zayn continues. 

      "Why did you guys do that?" I asked. 

      "'Cause you need us right now." Louis replies. They really cared enough to cancel shows to come. 

---

      As they placed Gramma into her grave, Niall hugged me. My head rested on his shoulder as he rubbed my back as a sign of comfort. Tears fell, but I didn't cry very much, due to not having any tears left. The rest of the boys stood beside us and stayed quiet. When it came time to drop the rose, Niall let go. I let out a shaky sigh as I dropped the rose on Gramma's coffin with Grampa's following. I went back into Niall's arms as the rain began again. It started with sprinkling and then the thunder appeared. My crying stopped, but Niall didn't let go of me. 

     When it came time to leave, Niall kept his grip on my hand. The boys didn't say anything about it. Tia Valerie got in the car with Allie and Grampa. "You wanna come with us?" Harry asks. I nod and walk to the black car they rented. Louis got in the driver's seat with Liam in the passenger seat while I sat on Niall's lap. Harry in the middle and Zayn beside him. 

      I laid my head on Niall's shoulder and managed to croak out, "Just follow that car." I pointed to the car Grampa was driving. Louis nodded and turned on the wipers. Niall rubbed my back and rested his head on top of mine. 

      "This is a really small town." Liam comments. 

      "You really weren't kidding when you said 'small town'." Zayn adds. 

------

[Two Of Us - Louis Tomlinson]

------

A/N:

imsorryimsorryimsorryimsorry

Feel free to attack me in the comments, I deserve it.

Vote, Comment, Share

TPWK.

All the love, C. xx