Chapter 24: Treat You Better.

[ I won't lie to you,
I know he's just not right for you ]

---

Niall's Pov:

      "So, how did you guys meet?" I shove a fry into my mouth and look from Zayn, who asked the question, to Emily and Jessie who gives a closed smile while wrapping an arm around Emily. I sigh and look down to my food and coat a new fry with ketchup. 

      "Funny story." Jessie says. 

      "When Yomara took me to the beach, we were laying down and a ball hit my leg." Emily says with a giggle. Jessie hums in agreement and continues. 

      "Yeah. So I went..." I stop listening and continue eating my remaining fries. 

      How could someone like Jessie get a girl like Emily just by hitting her with a ball? Something about him doesn't seem right. 

      A phone starts ringing and most eyes are on Jessie, who takes out his phone from his pocket. He looks at the screen and sighs. "It's my mom. I have to get this. I'll be back." He gets up and walks towards the restrooms. I lean back in my seat and sip my drink before placing it back on the table. 

      "So? What do you think of him?" Emily asks with a smile. 

      "I approve. Lads?" Liam looks at the rest of us and Emily's smile gets wider. 

      "He's okay." Louis shrugs. 

      "He's cool." Zayn says while sipping his drink. 

      "He's fine." Harry says with a small smile. Everyone looks at me expecting my answer. 

      "He makes you happy. That's all that matters." I say with a fake smile. Emily's smile goes even wider if that was even possible. God, it's so hard seeing her with someone else. Yes, she has moved on from Japan. But did she have to pick him out of all people? 

      It's been a few minutes and the tall glass of lemonade was starting to kick in. I begin to stand up. "I'm going to the restroom. I'll be back." I say before walking in the direction of the men's room. I walk inside the restroom and stop when I hear Jessie's voice. Why do I always come in a room when someone is on the phone? 

      "I'm sure it'll be over soon... You know how it is, I have to be here... I miss you too, babe... I'll be home soon... Bye." Who was he talking to? Obviously not Emily. Who should be the only person he calls 'babe' as much as I hate to admit it. He walks out from one of the stalls and sees me. He walks past me with a nod and walks out as if I didn't just hear him call somebody 'babe'. I quickly use the restroom as I said I would. What should I do? If he's calling someone else 'babe', doesn't that mean that he's cheating on Emily? Should I tell Emily? What would I even tell her? 

      I sit back down and see Jessie's glance already on me. He sips his drink with an arm across the back of Emily's chair. There's something odd about him and I'm going to find out what it is.

---

      It is now the next day and I was debating on telling Emily about what I heard last night. Would it be a good idea if I did? Would she think I'd be making it up? I held my phone in one hand while the other was running through my hair. 

      What would happen if I did tell her? Would she even believe me? Would she talk to him about it? God, help me. I shake my head with a sigh and begin to dial Emily's phone number. I put a hand at my waist and wait for her to answer while pacing back and forth. After the third ring, I hear her voice, making me doubt myself. Well, here goes nothing.

      "Hello?" 

      I sigh, "Hey, Em." 

      "Hey, Niall. What's up?" Maybe I shouldn't tell her. She might hate me. 

      "It's just... There's something I have to tell you." I go straight to the point. 

      "Okay... What is it?" I can't tell her. It'll crush her. "Niall? What's going on? Are you okay?" 

      I nod, "Y-Yeah. It's just... Last night..." 

      "What about last night?" I can't tell her. I can't bring myself to tell her. But she deserves to know. 

      "I- You know when Jessie went to answer his phone?" 

      "Yeah..." 

      "I'm just going to say it. I overheard Jessie on the phone and it didn't sound like he was talking to his mother. He called somebody 'babe' and I didn't that was right. Please don't hate me, Emily. This was so hard to tell you." There's silence on the other end. "Emily? I'm so sorry." I hear her let out a long sigh. 

      "I can't believe it..." 

      "Emily, I hate having to tell you that-" 

      "I can't believe that you would make up something so ridiculous like that!" I'm taking aback by her words. 

      "Em, I'm not making this u-" 

      "You know, Niall. After everything that has happened, I would think that you would at least try to be happy for me." 

      "Emily, I'm not ly-" 

      "I thought you would be better than this." I feel my eyes start to sting. She hates me now. 

      "Why would I ever lie to you?!" I finally snap. She's quiet, so I go on. "You mean so much to me, I would never do something like this to make you feel that I'm trying to sabotage your life! You, out of all people, is the last person I would lie to."  

      "I'm sorry that  didn't fall in love with you after Japan, Niall, but you just have to accept the fact that I've moved on from you and found a great guy. I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore. Goodbye, Niall." 

      The line goes dead before I can say anything. What have I done?

------

[ Treat You Better - Shawn Mendes ]

------

A/N:

Shit. MAYBE I MISS YOU. sorry, i had to. 

Anyways, what do you think? I want to know your opinions, so please comment them! I can deal with criticism, it helps me improve! 

Vote, Comment, Share

TPWK.

All the love, C. xx