Chapter 19: Hey There, Delilah.

[ I'm a thousand miles away,
but girl tonight you look so pretty,
yes you do ]

---

      Wearing an over-sized Ozzy Osbourne t- shirt and denim shorts, we got back to the beach where a large fire lit up the dark area. Large logs sat around the fire and some people held red solo cups. 

      Yomara and I get out of the car and start making our way to the bonfire. "Em, chill." Yomara says noticing my panic. 

      "Let me be nervous running into my true love." I joke back using her words from earlier. She stops us and looks at me grabbing the sides of my arms. 

      "We're going to have fun and make some friends. It will be great." She rubs my arms reassuringly, "Now take a deep breath..." I do as told and sigh. "You good now?" I nod, "Good 'cause Jessie is coming over. Act natural." Her words bring the panic back.

      "Hello ladies. Glad you made it." 

      "Hi, Jessie." I smile hoping that panic isn't evident. "Um, this is my friend, Yomara." I introduce her. They greet each other quickly. 

      "Well, drinks and food are over there, so help yourself. Yomara, hope you don't mind if I steal Emily for a bit?" 

      Yomara smiles and shakes her head, "Not at all! She's all yours, I'll be at the drinks." 

      Yomara walks off and turns back giving me a thumbs up behind Jessie's back. "So, wanna go for a walk?" He asks. I nod bringing my attention back on him. 

      "Okay." We start walking away from the fire in silence before he breaks it. 

      "I'm glad you were able to come." He says shoving his hands into his pockets. 

      "Yeah, I just thought I could use a night out." I reply. 

      "How about a game?" He asks. 

      "Depends, what game?" 

      "20 questions?" 

      "How about 10?" 

      He shrugs with a smile, "I'll take what I can get. Okay, how old are you?" 

      "Very creative..." I snort. 

      "Just answer!" He laughs. 

      "I'm 20 years." I say. 

      He nods, "Okay... Where are you from?" 

      "You seriously have to make up questions, Jessie." I laugh referring to the very classic questions. He laughs and I finally answer, "Small town in New Mexico." 

      "Really?" I hum with a nod, "Why did you come over here?" 

      "New job. Photographer for a boy band." I say. 

      "Wow, that was the last thing I thought you would say." Jessie laughs. 

      I scoff, "Why?" 

      "By your shirt, I thought you would be an upcoming star or something big and spontaneous like that." I laugh. 

      "Okay, next question." I say once I've calmed down. 

      "Do you prefer a Big Mac or a rice cake?" 

      I look at him with a questioning look, "I don't see how that really matters, but I prefer a Bic Mac." 

      He laughs, "You told me to be creative!" 

      "By asking if I'd prefer McDonald's or a rice cake?" We laugh and I sigh. 

      "Okay, big question." He says.

      "Shoot." 

      "Do you believe in love at first sight? In general." 

      I shrug, "I don't know." I say honestly. "I believe that it happens to almost everyone else, but when it gets to me, the universe is like, 'Nah, she doesn't get it'" I explain thinking about the last time I thought I was in love. But that's not important... 

      "Hmm. Interesting..." Jessie jokes. I giggle and shove him making him laugh. Hearing his laugh makes butterflies erupt in my stomach. 

      Even after meeting Jessie today, it feels... Weird. It feels like a natural connection. Like a... Spark? I know it's probably too soon to tell, but would I have felt like this with Niall? Niall? Why am I thinking about Niall? The whole point of coming was to get over Niall! 

      "Ready for the next question?" I hear Jessie ask. I look over at him and nod. "Can I take you on a date?" My heart pounds against my chest hearing him ask that. Maybe he can help me get over Niall. Wait, would that mean I'd be using him? No... Of course not. Maybe in the end, I'll be over Niall and only want Jessie.

      I nod, "Yes." 

      As we get back to the bonfire, I go to Yomara who is standing where she said she was. Jessie grabs an acoustic guitar and sit by a friend of his. Yomara smiles as I approach her. "Tell me everything. Leave out no details." She demands as I grab myself a Hawaiian Punch. 

      "I'll tell you later." I say not letting the smile leave my face. 

      "Did you at least ask you out?" I look back up to her eyes and nod. She squeals, "This is great!" 

      Yomara and I stop our conversations when we hear a guitar begin to strum. The familiar tune of a classic brings a larger grin to my face. "Today is the greatest day I've ever known... Can't live for tomorrow, tomorrow's much too long... I'll burn my eyes out before I get out..." Jessie manages to keep eye contact with me as he continues to play the song. 

      I sigh and look back down to my cup. This song reminds me of the boys somehow. Niall, mostly... That everyday I'm with them, it feels like the best day and we act like there's no tomorrow... Dammit. I have to stop thinking of him like that. I'm going out with Jessie tomorrow and it's going to be great. 

      I am brought out of my thoughts when I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I grab it and see Harry's contact requesting a video call. I decline the call and put my phone back in my pocket. I'll call him back later. "You okay?" I hear Yomara ask as I put back my phone. 

      "Yeah. All good." 

------

[ Hey There, Delilah- Plain White T's ]

------

A/N:

hehe. hi.

Hope you all are enjoying the story 'cause I'm having a lot of fun writing it. Just a little warning to prepare yourselves for the next few chapters 'cause they maybe will... maybe not be in Niall's perspective... :)

The song that Jessie's singing is 'Today' by Smashing Pumpkins or from the movie, 'If I Stay'

Vote, Comment, Share

TPWK.

All the love, C. xx