Chapter 8: Rise.

[ When we hit the bottom, nothin' gon' stop us,
climb to the top with you ]

---

THE NEXT MORNING

      I arrive to work wearing a pair of white skinny jeans with a 'Rolling Stones' shirt tucked in. My hair in its usual state. I go to my floor number and greet Kelly. "Hey, Kelly." 

      "Hey, Emily. Mr. King asked to see you in his office." I stop and feel panic start brewing. Did I do something I wasn't supposed to?

      "Oh, do you know what for?" I ask, hoping that the panic isn't evident. 

      She shrugs, "No clue. But the One Direction boys are here, so it must be good." 

      Crap, crap, crap. Did they not like my photos? "Oh. Okay. Wish me luck." 

      I wipe my suddenly clammy hands against my jeans as I arrive to his door. I knock and get a flash of deja vu as I do. The familiar 'Come In' makes me let out a nervous breath before opening the door. "Just the girl I wanted to see!" Mr. King smiles. James and the rest of the boys sat in his office, James in one of the seats in front of Mr. King's desk and the boys all bunched together on the couch. "Emily, you remember James and the boys." Mr. King says. 

      "I do. Great to see you again." I say to them. I sit in the empty seat and wipe my hands against my legs again. 

      Mr. King must notice the fear in my face and chuckles. "Don't worry, you're not in trouble. In fact, we have some very good news." I nod and smile. 

      "Yeah, we really liked your photos." James says making the boys nod from beside me. "And we were hoping that, if you're interested, you'd be One Direction's photographer." I know that for a fact, that my jaw dropped when I heard Liam's laugh. 

      "Really?" I squeak. 

      Mr. King nods, "Yes, James and I have decided on collaborating companies. If you agree to this, we could get lots of recognition and more deals." Mr. King explains. 

      "But, only if you're up for it." Harry assures. 

      "I- Wow." I breathe out. 

      "We understand that this is a lot to take in." James says. 

      I nod, "Yeah. I- Can I be excused for a minute?" Mr. King nods with a smile. I get up and walk out of the room. I do a tiny victory dance and take a deep breath. I've only been working here for about two weeks and I'm already getting offered an upgrade. Okay, breathe, Emily. Don't make a fool of yourself yet. I take a deep breath and regain my composure. 

      I go back inside the office and go back to my seat. "If it isn't too much to ask, can I sleep on it? I can let you know my final decision tomorrow morning." 

      James nods, "No, of course. It's a lot to take in."  

      "As a matter of fact, go ahead and head home. There aren't any appointments for you today." Mr. King says. 

      "Are you sure?" 

      Mr. King nods, "Yes, go home." 

      I smile, "Thank you. Very much. I will see you all tomorrow."    

      I walk out of Mr. King's office while swinging on my bag. I walk past Kelly who gives me an expectant look. "Well?" 

      "I was offered an upgrade!" Kelly claps.