10°

I walk really fast so can get to the field. Throughout our whole ride, I was very uncomfortable and disturbed, while Asher drew circles on my hand.

I get to the swimming area and spotted Zara sitting on one of the benches, and drying her face.

“Zara!” I quicken my steps and sit beside her. She does not even look like she had sent a message to me at all.

“Hey, where were you? I asked Godwin and he said you were still in class when he left for sports, so...”

“Chill...is my mom here yet?” I ask.

She bursts into laughter, and I even panicked the more.

“That was a lie. I just wanted you to appear in front of me.”

“Oh my God, Zara!” I whip her with the towel and she laughs. “It’s not funny abeg. If only you know how scared I was.”

She stops laughing. “You’ll only be scared if you were doing the wrong thing. What were you doing? And where were you?”

“Asher’s house.”

She gasps and starts smiling. “Oya, start to dey gist me.

“Zara, please we’ll talk later. I have to meet Mr Felix and explain myself.”

“Anytime, I’ll be ready to listen to the full story.”

I stand up and leave immediately, heading straight to the tennis court.

I get to where Mr Felix is and tap him on his back.

“Where were you?” he asks. Obviously, he is not happy with me and I bow my head. All my fellow tennis players are looking at me like I’m bad.

“I was–”

“Mr Felix please just let her go.” I look up to see Praise. When did he start playing tennis?

“But when I missed once, I got suspended from playing for two weeks. It’ll be bias if she stays,” Esther says. Dianne must have told her to say so, such a devil. “Not only me, some other people have also gotten suspended.”

“But Mr Felix, you know I’ve never missed before,” I tell him.

“Excuse me sir! I wanna use the restroom!” Dianne says, and is permitted by Mr Felix.

“I also never missed before but I still got suspended.”

This Esther has me to face later on. Anyways, I end up getting suspended so I go back to class. On my way up the stairs, someone’s hand slips into mine and is holding mine so tight. It’s Praise.

“I can always miss basketball practice for you so you don’t get bored.”

I smile. “Thank you.”

But seriously, this is all Asher’s fault. I have already made up my mind to ignore him. Now, I’m not going to enjoy my favourite stuff for two weeks. This is just even my first time.

He starts saying funny stuffs and I laugh at what he says. Our steps are even slow. Before we get to the entrance of the class, he gives me a peck and I’m just really shocked.

I touch my cheeks and look at my finger, then at him again. He is just smiling and yeah, he’s cute...with the cute hair and eyebrows.

We get into class and my eyes meet with Asher’s. I try slipping my hand away from Praise’s since we’re still holding hands, but he grips mine tighter.

We go to the class together and I still don’t feel comfortable. Asher was smiling when I came in first, but when Praise came behind me (with our hands still locked), his expression changed, and now I just feel guilty.