65°

THREE MONTHS LATER

Like time has just flown by like that. Our JAMB scores were out since and my score was 285 while Asher had 325. He is the highest amongst us. Even at the end of second term, he takes the first place which makes Mom and Dad really furious about my position and now I’ve been grounded since last month. I cannot go out. The only place Elijah can drive me to is the state library or to school, and then back home.

I cannot even go out on dates Asher has planned for the both of us, well I don’t even think I need it now because I have my WAEC to focus on. It’s just two more weeks and then I will focus on my NECO exams. Unluckily for me, Asher is not writing but I am grateful that he will stay in Nigeria till September because of me.

I wish I can join him and school in Australia too but too bad my University is Babcock so no hope for me. Except probably when it is time for me to finish up with my MASTER’S DEGREE.

Now, we are all in the sitting room waiting for our new president to be announced.

Asher’s dad looks like someone who will win this presidency elections because from all the votes counted together, he is the highest in majority of the states.

And even, today is Asher’s birthday. Too bad my gift to him is sent through Zara. He tried making me lie to my parents about studying with Zara in her house just for me to go out with him. It’s so bad my parents are strict about making me stay in my room to read. They really want me to be the Valedictorian.

At the end of it all, I’m happy my boyfriend is the president’s son.

“Nigeria is corrupt!” Dad says immediately Mr Kennedy is pronounced as the new president of Nigeria. “It should have been Dike who would rule Nigeria by now. This Kennedy of a man is someone I know Nigerians may start complaining of, later.”

He angrily storms upstairs to the room and mom follows behind.

“Are you happy?” Vida asks me when we get to my room. We have been getting along recently.

“Why?” I sit in front of my dresser.

“That you are the girlfriend to the president’s second son..”

“Is that supposed to be an achievement?”

“Yeah. It isn’t easy for Asher to actually fall in love with someone and talk more of you. You have actually achieved something, y’know? You made him change and he ends up falling in love with you.”

“Ain’t bad.” I shrug.

“Karen, come and see Asher’s mom!” Kayla yells from the hallway.

I have never seen her before. This will be the first time even though if it is on TV. I heard she is white. Actually, Asher told me that she is an American.

I go downstairs and wait for when the camera shows her. All I can say is a ‘wow’ because she is an epitome of beauty. She looks so much like Asher and she smiles like him. She even looks young, like maybe she is Asher’s older sister. Even his Dad looks young too.

My phone rings and I check the caller ID.

“Hey,” Asher says to me over the phone.

“Why aren’t you there to celebrate your dad’s victory?” I ask and start making my way up the stairs.

“Do I have to? Ashbel and Ashwyn are there so what’s the point? Besides, I hate public attention,” he replies.

“Wow. Such a stubborn son..”

“Are your parents seriously not letting you go out?”

“Until NECO is over. Like, I cannot even bring up the topic about going out because it is more like I’m signing my death warrant.”

“C’mon, you can try. Like, I don’t have to wait till your other exam is over or just meet you at school. You don’t even have time for me anymore.”

“Babe, I’m sorry ok? It ain’t my fault. Wish I can do something.”

“Okay sure. See you at school tomorrow.”

“Happy Birthday sweetheart,” I say before ending the call.

_____

Everyone at school is all over Asher because he is the president’s son. Infact, he is playing table tennis while I’m just sitting on this bleacher seat as the girl who is the most bored one. Everyone has their partner with them while I feel empty now because I have a partner who has chosen table tennis over me.

I sip water from my can and focus back on my phone.

“Hey.” He sits down beside me.

“I thought you were playing.” I still don’t look up from my phone.

“But I’m done. I have to spend time with my girl.” His hands go over my shoulders. “So urm...”

“How does it feel to be the son of the president?”

“Normal. I can only feel the change if I am the person in his place and not him. That is what I call an achievement.”

“Such a pompous show-off.” I shake my head and look back at my screen again, which is now playing a video of an erotic dancer.

“You used to feel uncomfortable watching this kind of videos before. What happened to you? What changed you? Were you actually serious about loosing your virginity?”

“Yeah, and I’m saying it all again. Like, what’s the point of keeping it when nobody really cares about it anymore.”

“Who said so?”

“Do you care?”

“No I don’t mind but it will sure feel somehow when you know that someone else has seen what you’re dying to have a taste of,” he explains.

“Well, I am still tired of it..”

No, I am not though. Infact, I don’t know what is wrong with me but Vida’s story has changed my mind and she is leaving in July after our Valedictory Service.

He sighs and runs his hand through his hair.

“Bae, take a chill pill. You might end up doing something you are gonna regret.”

“But that is why there is protection, and drugs..”

“Drugs?! What the fuck you doin’ with drugs?! You fucking don’t know side effects come with it?! Shit! Damn! This is all crazy. Karen, please be the good girl you used to be, I feel guilty. Like, I made you change.”

“You don’t have to. Just give me what I want. Isn’t hard. You should be happy I want you to take it away.”

“I don’t wanna hurt you, Karen.”

“Hurt me...please..?”

A/N

All I can say for now is that y’all stay tuned ok?

Ciao!