58°

“You’re being unserious right now, Jamal,” I tell him.

“I wish so,” he replies tiredly. “Fine, just forget about it. I’ll be fine with Lexa.”

He is always sounding hurt. Like, why do cute boys always have big problems? Mostly family issues. Before, I used to think they live perfect lives and even if they had a problem, it would be minor. Okay, I stopped thinking so when I turned fourteen so I’ll assume I was, but, a childish thinker.

“So...urm..”

“We should get going to the court now. Mr Felix should be waiting for us,” he cuts in.

“No, I’m not practicing today. I think I’ll give tennis a break,” I tell him. “Besides, you do need something to distract you...”

“Sure...”

“But hold on, do you mind telling me about Dianne? I heard so many things about you and her, and something you said.”

He sits straight up on the chair, and looks at me, then looks away again.

Strange.

“What exactly were the things you heard?” he asks.

“That you like her and you said I can let anyone get my lips and...”

“I knew it! I knew Dianne would say rubbish. Look Karen, I was kinda drunk and I remembered the stuffs when I became sober. There wasn’t anymore time to tell her I didn’t mean those stuffs and I find it really hard to say hurtful things to girls,” he explains. “So whatever you guys must have heard, y’all heard wrongly.”

“It is not just me. Minority are oblivious of the rumour, but talking about the majority? Dude, you gats let them know.”

“I won’t stress. I’m just hoping Dianne will learn to stop spitting shit about people or use their bad sides as a blackmail.” He shrugs. “Gotta bounce! I really do need the distraction. Thanks.” He gives me this cheesy smile and goes out. I know he is faking to be alright, even that smile tells it all.

________

If I say one week and two days was easy without Asher, including taking care of the class, I’d be lying.

And I’m hoping that he will be in school soon because I came really early with Zara. Vida said she’d come when it’s the normal time, while I lied to Mom that Zara and I have something to do at school. Even till now, I find it unbelievable that Mom bought the lie. Usual Mom would make me go on an interview forever. *Shrieks*

“So you’ve missed him huh?” Zara asks. Now, we are both sitting on a desk close to the door. It’s still a bit dark because the time is six-thirty at the dot. You can imagine how well I planned to shout at him when he enters the class today– hopefully. If he comes back.

Actually, I might do something milder than shouting at him.

“Yes but...”

She is already giving me that that goofy grin of: yupipu should na date.

“...but shhhh! Don’t tell anybody! Nobody has to know I really actually like him.”

“Everyone knows, duh!” She rolls her eyes. “We’re just waiting for y’all to hit the nail on the head because it’s obvious he likes you and you like him too. You both like each other, you are actually the one fucking up girl! You are! I’mma tell you the truth ‘cause I am your BESTFRIEND!”

“Keep it down, idiot!”

“I’m not keeping anything down because nothing is up. So, you better accept him or we quit being besties.” She scrunches up her nose.