64°

I come back to class before break is over and find Asher peeping into my bag.

I walk up to him and try collecting my bag but he holds it back.

“Asher! You’re always intruding privacy you dumbass!”

“Karen sit!” He pulls me down and I plop down on my seat. “What the fuck are you doing with a condom in your bag?!”

“Dude..”

“Fuck, Karen! This is so not you. You never get interested in stuffs like this and you don’t even listen to things about sex, so what the hell you doin’ with a CD?” He tries to keep his voice down.

“I just needed it.”

“Why?!”

I sigh. “What do they need condoms for?”

“You what? Like, Karen...damn! This is so bad, I really don’t expect this from you. To be very honest.”

“I just feel like I don’t need to keep my virginity anymore.”

The old Karen would have felt weird having this kind of conversation with someone, but now I feel so free. Even to talk about this with the opposite sex. Like, what’s going on with me?

He looks at me with disbelief and sighs, running his hand through his hair.

“Karen, I think you’re going crazy.”

I look at him and twist my lips to the side.

“Come here.”

I get up and sit on his desk while he stands up with his hands in his pockets.

“Bae, you don’t need it ok? You gotta keep it for that one person who does deserve you..”

“Don’t you deserve me?” I ask.

“Look urm..yeah for me. I think you are just perfect and I think I deserve you buh..urm..we ain’t sure ‘bout this yet so keep it.”

“Why did you change your mind? You wanted it before.”

“I came to realise I couldn’t hurt you by taking away the most precious gift God gave you. If I am the person who truly deserves you then in one way or the other, later in future, God’s gonna make it work.”

He smiles and I smile back. “Ok.” And we hug.

________
ASHER’S POV

Something is definitely wrong with Karen. She was never like this, who changed her? I know, before, that I wanted her so bad but I later came to realise that I could not come to the point of getting her by taking away something cherishable. I may think I deserve her now but somehow, I feel like I’m going to hurt her in the end.

“Son..”

I do not even notice my dad is standing in front of my room.

“Sir..” I turn away from my gamepad and stand up to meet him.

“I’m leaving for the US right now..” He checks his wristwatch. “..something urgent came up so I have to go.”

“Is anything wrong with Mom?” I ask.

“I bet not. Well I just wanna let you know that I may not be back for probably two weeks but I will be back sooner though to run for elections. You have the house to yourself but no invitations except Jamal and probably the other guys you call your friends. No female allowed, Asher. You heard me right. You got the security to yourself and just two maids will get your orders. The others are on leave so you better know how to make your days alone useful. No females allowed.”