47°

For the End of year party, I am not even gonna waste time to pick a dress. Even though it will be my last christmas celebration at school, who cares? I can have a better one next year so there's nothing special this year that would make me destroy my wardrobe all in the name of me searching for a dress.

I put on a white short flared out gown and red heels. Nothing much to do on my hair since I only stretched it and packed it in a sleek ponytail then gelled the edges.

"Oya o, Karen your mom is waiting for you," Nkem calls from outside my room.

"Be down soon." I pick up my shoulder bag and leave the room.

While in the front seat with mom, I'm just thinking of how I'd be up on that stage, playing the violin and singing christmas carol songs. Mrs Tolu did not have to tell Mrs Wande I could do both.

I've never done any activity during end of year parties. I'm actually among the sit-down-and-watch party or the clapping congregation, and then mom would look at me like "see what your mates are doing and you're here looking like ode". And me, in order not to eye her, I'll just look away and keep looking at other people because Zara will be an all-rounder that day. She would dance, act, sing, guess riddles and so on.

Vida is busy with a lollipop and listening to music, Kayla and Kayden are in the back seat using their kiddies tablet, while Nkem has her phone in her hands. And I dont know why she is wearing her sun glasses inside the car.

Anyways, I'd be proud to walk beside her because she doesn't look or act like those village house girls, that act too excited when they see Christmas lights or Santa Claus. Or those ones that will struggle so you can get rice, or the ones that will be shouting, "stay well and snap this photo abeg let us get out from this place."

Finally, we get to school and trust those camera men to come to us so we can take pictures. Why? Because Mom likes it when we take lots of pictures which means a higher amount of money. And mom never comes to school without giving money as gifts to people. Money she will save and buy me 11pro.

Mxtcheew

We go into the huge hall and I take a seat with my grademates who are sitting at the end of the hall.

"Hey babe!" Aina calls me over to the middle row. It's a good thing she saved a seat for me and Zara because sitting at the front is totally not my thing. I hate it when it's time for riddles, and they always pick from the front. Apart from that, they pick the popular students which I am. Riddles ain't just my thing.

I go over to her and seat on the blue seat.

"What's up? You're kinda late, Mrs Tolu was looking for you," she tells me.

"Oh, I was cooking rice," I lie. "Where is Zara?"

"Dressing up for the dance presentation," she replies.

"Is she doing hip hop or ballet?"

"She said she will do both."

"You nko? What are you doing?"

"I'm acting as Mary na, and Godwin is Joseph. Mxtcheew, bad luck nii," she says.

I laugh. "So who is the baby Jesus?"

"Mrs Adesanya's daughter."

"That nine-month old girl? She's big na. You people should use toy."

"I don't know o. Let that girl better not cry."

"That ugly baby that likes crying. She looks like her mom."

"God should make her have sense and do surgery when she grows up." Aina laughs.