20°

“Ja-m-mal?”

I hit my palm on my forehead and let out a sigh in a long whoosh. Shit! This is not a good time.

“Is that the she?” Alex asks. “Wow. Pretty voice, I bet she’s pretty too. Where did you find her? I’d like her type for myself.”

“You better shut your pit up!” I point my finger at him and move closer. “Don’t do something that may cost your life tonight. I’m ready to kill you.”

“You gat nothing, I gat guns and my niggas over there.” He points behind him and I see the guys sitting at the step of the duplex closer to us. Nobody is at the other duplex so I just have these few people to deal with. But how? It’s just me and Jamal, and Karen...who is a girl.

“Ash-er?” I turn. It’s Karen. She finally finds us. She looks around with fear and I know she is afraid. I can tell how she feels every time, she is just like a part of me now.

“Karen...” My eyes are filling up with tears. I’m afraid she will get involved in this. She is just innocent. “Karen please stay back.”

She moves back. Thank God.

“Hey you! Stand right there. Don’t. Move. Or. Else.”

I watch Karen as she freezes. I’ve never seen her this scared, I don’t even want to. I just want her to be comfortable everytime, especially when I’m around.

“Are you the she?” Alex asks.

“Excuse me, what?” Karen asks.

“Wow! You’re the prettiest creature I’ve ever set my eyes on.” Alex starts moving closer to her and I obstruct his way.

“She is mine!” I say it loud and clear. “Karen, go back!” I tell her.

“If you dare!”

“It’s either you go with me or you’re a goner with him! Go back!” I tell her. She bends down and starts loosening the strap of her heels. Brilliant girl! My badass bitch.❤

“Girl don’t move!” Alex yells, but it’s a good thing Karen is already running even though she’s not so fast. He points the gun at her and shoots. When I turn, Karen is already on the floor.

I don’t know that Jamal is with a gun until he shoots Alex’s arm and starts running towards Karen. I wanna be the one to save her, not him. I know he likes her too but...

Alex’s guys are shooting and coming towards us, I don’t even notice that I’m shot in the arm already until I kneel with force in front of Karen.

No Karen, you’ll be fine OK?

“Jamal, call Quan and Raymond, they are not far away. They’ll help,” I tell him and he looks at me. He is kneeling in front of Karen too, trying to help her up.

“Why don’t you do it while I save her?” he asks. How dare he?

“Dude, are we about to start an argument or what?”

He furrows his brow and runs his hand through his hair before leaving.

I carry Karen up and take her to the other duplex, through the bushy field. That’s the only way for us not to be spotted. She is not even so heavy for me so carrying her up the stairs is not hard for me. We get to a room and I open the door. I drop her on the bed and move to close the door.

From the music box across the other side of the room, Echame La Culpa is playing. Although it’s disturbing, I still don’t turn it off. It may be obvious that someone turned off the music that was playing.