22°

ASHER’S POV

“Hey Kim,” I say to Kimora- Ashton’s ex girlfriend. Though they act like they are still together. “What did you guys do that was deadly?”

“We got the dr– urm, who is she?” Kim turns to Karen.

“Girlfriend,” I reply immediately. Karen gives me a look like ‘I thought you said I can’t be your girlfriend’ but I wink at her.

“Oh wow, you finally let go of that stupid Dianne that almost got us in trouble.” She moves closer to Karen. “Hey girl, I’m Kimora Lewis, you are?”

“Karen Andrews,” Karen replies.

“Aww, you’re the most beautiful creature I’ve ever seen.”

Honestly. I never for once thought that a Nigerian girl could look like a foreigner. She is so beautiful. God took his time to create her.

“Thanks.” Karen’s smiling right now and I am smiling too. Her smile is contagious.

“So I’mma be right back ok? We gotta talk about Asher.” Kim winks at her and leaves.

I turn back to the plate rack and pick out two forks.

“Can’t you be straightforward? You like me and you want me to be your girlfriend, say it!” She uses her fork to hit my arm.

“I’m doing you a favor. At least you’ll know how it feels like to be my girlfriend.” I pick up a plantain and put it in my mouth.

She squints her eyes and mumble, “Jerk.”

“You’re in love with a jerk.”

“Is that what you think? Do you think fierce Karen Andrews will fall for someone like you?”

Ouch, that hurts though. I thought she did. That she even still likes me, she acts that way and she has made me believe so. Why is she pretending? I feel hurt that the first girl I’m ever loving this much is only making me look like a naive person. Guess I’m a sucker for love. I just want someone else to give me attention and love –the one I can’t get from my dad, and the one Mom doesn’t give me enough.

“Maybe.”

Just then Jayzeey comes in and Karen hides behind me.

“Please just tell it to leave,” she says.

“Oh well you’re fierce. He’s your match,” I say to her and move to the sink. When I turn back, she is sitting on the counter and looking down at Jayzeey.

I leave the kitchen and go to the Ashton’s room to find him there. He is looking out through his glass wall and has weed in his hand. He’s lucky nobody outside can see him, but he can see everything going on outside.

“Bro,” I call him. He turns to me with the weed between his lips and comes closer. I’m in for trouble.

“You dared me,” he tells me. “You want to rule the Berkely Crew now? You wanna step up? You don’t  like the position I gave you?!” He kicks his chair.

“Bro listen to me...”

“Shut the fuck up!” He points a gun at me.

“Are you gonna kill me?”

“Who are you? I’ve always lived my life alone. Since Dad has asked us to hustle, I’ve known that you hustle alone. You’re on your own too, don’t think it’s because I give you attention. Go look for the person who’ll give you love...” He chuckles and keeps the gun in his wardrobe, “...that’s why I can’t let go of Kim. She’s still perfect.”