4. Truth

"Excuse me?" Chris called out to the receptionist.

She wheeled her chair back over to the counter where Chris was standing as he smiled as a greeting.

"My friends and I were wondering if our friend was awake? Her name is Sam, she's blonde, has green eyes.." Chris explained.

The receptionist nodded and put her finger up for Chris to wait and wheeled away.

Chris leaned against the counter top as he waited.

Mike looked up at him every few seconds. Chris knew he was listening but didn't pay too much attention to it.

Chris heard the wheels of the receptionist coming his way again and turned to face her.

"She's awake now."

As soon as the receptionist got the words out, Mike shot up like a cannon. "What's her room number?" He asked as he quickly walked over to the counter.

"Uh- what my friend means to say is, is she allowed any visitors?" Chris asked with a smile.

The receptionist sighed and nodded.

"Room 21." The receptionist said while pointing.

Mike quickly ran to where she pointed.

The receptionist tried to get him to stop running but he wasn't listening.

"He does that a lot." Chris said with a smile.

~~~~~~~

Mike finally got to Sam's room and leaned against the wall outside for a second to catch his breath.

He took a deep breath and walked into the doorway.

"Sam?" He called out. She turned to him and as she did, a slight smile formed on her face.

"What? Youre just gonna stand there the whole time?" Sam asked.

Mike smiled as he walked to the side of Sam's bed and sat down on a chair there.

"Hey." Mike said. Sam smiled. "Hi Mike." She said back.

Mike leaned forward and brought the chair closer to Sam's bed.

"What was happening to you earlier?" Mike asked.

Sam sighed as she straightened up.

"I was worried about- about Josh and how he was a Wendigo and I guess I freaked out. The doctors said I had a PTSD flashback. So apparently not only do I have the lovely experience of the lodge but I have PTSD too." Sam explained.

Mike sighed as he again scooted closer to the bed.

"I'm sorry Sam." Mike said.

He was now close enough that his knees were almost touching the underside of the mattress.

"It's okay. Its not like it's your fault." Sam said.

"Well maybe not that." Mike said.

Sam turned to Mike, making direct eye contact with him which Mike found confusing since she hadn't since they had left the mountain.

"Jessica- she uh- I went to go visit her in her room. Chris said it would help me keep my mind off worrying about you. I was in there for a few minutes and while I was leaving I was going to kiss her forehead but she pushed me away. She pushed me so hard it made me feel like she was scared of me. Like I was a monster." Mike explained.

He looked up at Sam. She was still looking right at him with a concerned expression on her face.

"She said she couldn't- couldn't be with me after everything that happened. Every time she saw me she would be reminded of what happened." Mike explained.