35. Memento Mori

"We've got to get the fuck out here. Now!" Mike had yelled. All four of the pair had started to run, Jessica falling behind and eventually stumbling on her own feet.

Mike, Sam and Matt had all been at the door to the Asylum that they had all been staying at. And felt safe.

All three of them turned around to see Jess fall on the floor with a thump as she held her arms out of try and catch herself, but she was too weak to do this.

A loud screech could be heard from the hallway and then the one thing that none of them had ever wanted to see again was back.

Matt had to be stopped in his tracks for running to Jess as he stayed completely still, biting his lip.

Jess had froze as well, looking at Matt and Mike and Sam who had done the same. She heard the screams. She heard the crawling behind her. But everything in her she swore she wouldn't look.

The door outside wasn't even open yet. No way out.

Sam's breath shuddered as she tried to stay calm. She was shaking with fear. Mike was trying his best to stay as still as possible. He saw the Wendigo on the ceiling, looking down at all of them.

"Fuck."

*Time jump backwards one hour.*

Mike and Sam had just gone back into the living room to sit down together on the big couch to see what was happening.

Matt and Jess sat together, talking. Jess looking better today then she did the day before. Not well enough to be on her own but she could get around with little support now.

Less time everyone takes to get better, the sooner we get out of here. Matt thought to himself.

He hated that hallway that was behind them. He found himself looking back from time to time to check if anything had happened with it.

But yet each time he looked, nothing happened and nothing had changed.

Matt jumped at the sudden movement on the couch to see Sam and Mike had both sat down next to him.

"So, what do you guys usually do around here?" Mike asked Matt as he and Sam had settled themselves on the couch.

"Well this is about it man." Matt said with a chuckle.

Mike returned the same chuckle and then stretched his legs out in front of him with a groan as he tried to make sure everything was stretched out.

"There's no- like- tennis court or something?" Mike asked, jokingly.

This got a laugh out of Matt who had just shook his head at the question. "Eh, worth a shot." Mike said.

"Oh wait, Matt we have a table back there don't we? A table tennis one?" Jess asked. Matt thought for a moment and then looked behind him, seeing the table folded in between a space in the wall. Right next to the hallway.

"Yeah, that we do." He replied.

With that, Sam's eyes showed excitement. "You mean ping pong?" She asked quickly. "Yeah, I guess." Jess said, trying to contain her laughter as she saw Sam whip around everywhere to try and see where the table was.

"Yes! Where is it?" She asked Matt, only waiting a few seconds for Jess's response to hang in the air.

Matt chuckled and then stood up, walking towards the space in the walls. He was going quickly at first but then he saw the opening down the long hallway. Still dark. Still cold.

"Here we go." He said, grunting trying to lift the whole table himself.

Mike saw him struggling a little bit and then hopped up to go and help him.