18: Terror

Ashley and Chris stepped out of the gate and started to head towards the sidewalk to call for another cab.

"Shit, I have no service." Chris mumbled.

Ashley looked around on the road as a car passed by them. She felt a shiver as she crossed her arms in an attempt to warm herself up.

"What do you mean no service? Didn't we have it coming in?" Ashley questioned.

Chris put his phone up in the air in attempts to get a signal, even a bar but there was nothing.

"Yeah well that's not really how it works since we were in there and now we're walking into a signal. We might just have to walk a little-."

Before Chris could finish his sentence, a loud crash from the right side of the road made them jump. Ashley's eyes widened as she clung to Chris.

"Chris. What-."

Chris put a finger to his lips as he scanned the grass near them.

He pointed at a specific spot and then stopped.

He and Ashley both stared at the spot as Chris slowly moved his arm back down to his side. "Don't. Move." Chris whispered.

A screech filled the air. One that they wished they would never hear again.

Ashley started to tremble at the sound as she shut her eyes as tight as she could, hoping that would block out the sound. Chris just watched with gritted teeth.

The Wendigo looked over in their direction. They were both as stiff as boards as they watched it's movement.

It heard something off in the distance and shrieked in that direction and jumped away with it's movement.

As soon as it was far enough away, Chris grabbed Ashley's hand and ran as fast as he could.

He still had a bit of a limp after a week of healing. It still hurt to move but he didn't care. Adrenaline pumped through his body as he ran.

He had his phone in his other hand and kept taking quick looks at it to see if his service had changed at all.

Once he had one bar, he hit the request button that showed up and just kept running for another minute or so until he thought it was enough distance between them and the Wendigo.

He and Ashley both had their hands on their knees as they took multiple breaths. Before they could even say anything, the car pulled up to them and they both got in without a word.

Chris quickly spit out the directions to their house as he took some more breaths in the backseat as the driver went.

Ashley kept looking out the back window out of paranoia that they were being followed but each time she looked, there was nothing. Just the empty road passing by them.

Ashley adjusted herself in her seat as Chris finally caught his breath. He looked out the window and up at the mountain passing them by.

Then he put it all together. "Ash, that's- that's the mountain." He said as he pointed out the window. Ashley shook her head and put her hands to the sides of her head.

"Chris. No. I can't. I can't talk about this right now. Not after that just-." Ashley sputtered about as Chris stopped looking out the window and then to Ashley.

"Alright. Alright. It's okay Ash. It's alright." Chris said.

Ashley leaned against Chris as she sobbed quietly into his shoulder.

Chris just sat there. Taking it in. Everything that had happened. He wasn't sure what to do. If he should call or text or someone.

He didn't know what to do other then just sit and get home safe.