34. Rise

Mike and Sam were still seated in the living room with Jessica as they were all having their separate thoughts.

Mike kept looking at the tv even though he had no idea what was going on in the movie Sam had put on.

He looked at Sam out of the corner of his eye, seeing that her eyes were still trained on him. He shuddered as he saw this. He didn't want to tell her.

Tell her that possibly only a hallway down from them, Wendigos were there, being experimented on. Or whatever else they would be used for.

Fuck. Just stop staring at me. I can't keep trying to ignore it. And you know it. He thought to himself.

He was trying to direct his thoughts at Sam, knowing she wouldn't be able to know what he was thinking. She stayed staring at him.

He heard the bathroom door open and with that, Sam's gaze went on to Matt as he left with some sweatpants and a grey hoodie on.

He had his dirty clothes in his hand and made his way to the laundry basket in the corner of the room.

Sam's eyes were still on him and Mike took his opportunity to go take a shower himself.

He quickly got out of his seat and speed walked to Matt. "Do you think I could borrow some clothes?" He asked him.

Matt just looked up at him and nodded. Mike didn't wait for a verbal answer and then made his way into Matt's room, shutting the door behind him.

He opened the dresser drawers and went to see what was in there to wear. Matt didn't own any flannels which is what Mike was used to wearing. He looked down at his own shirt and pulled his shirt up to smell it.

It still smelled like the fabric softener he and Sam had washed their clothes with a few days before so he figured he could just put on a sweatshirt and have the same flannel over it.

"Alright.. let's see here." He said as he looked at the pants Matt owned. There were only four pair in there and Mike figured he would have to try them on to make sure they fit, so he did just that.

"Nope." He said, holding one pair up. It was already too small for him. He grabbed the next pair and lifted his eyebrows, seeing that they might fit.

He tried them on and sure enough, they did. He nodded and then took off the jeans he had tried on and out on his pants he had on prior to changing.

He then walked out of the dark room and into the living room to go to the bathroom. As he made his way to the bathroom, he looked over at Sam for only a brief second and she looked at him.

Even if it had only been a second, Mike could see into Sam's eyes and knew exactly what she was thinking. She wanted to talk.

He was trying to avoid that at all costs. At least until they could get out of there and away, safely.

Mike finally made it into the bathroom and shut the door behind him quickly. When he closed the door he had a flash of the memory of the loud crash as the window broke and Jess was pulled outside.

Away from him and just out of his grasp as he had been frozen in fear. He gasped quietly and had his head to the door with one hand on it.

It reminded him of what he had done while Sam was in the shower. Just out of his reach just out of his limit to help her.

He wished he could know what she was thinking. What she must be worrying about. He didn't want to keep anything from her. Least of all something that could be dangerous. But he didn't want to trigger something in her again.